George Harrison Memorial Concert

History and music of Liverpool
albie

George Harrison Memorial Concert

Post by albie »

Wrote this some two years ago but thought Beatle fans might be interested

GEORGE HARRISON TRIBUTE CONCERT AT THE LIVERPOOL EMPIRE - Feb 2002

Three thousand packed The Empire to pay tribute to one of the city's most famous sons. On the night we simply did what we do best around here which is to have a good time with old friends.

Inevitably I blubbed at least half a dozen times as the early song memories of those early Liverpool Fab Four days completely overwhelmed me - ["I'll Get You" really did get to me - after 38 years I finally found out what Paul meant by his lyrics].

George will always remain in the hearts of his fellow Scousers. Being the quietest and most unassuming he was arguably remembered most fondly.

Some tremendous acts graced the famous old Empire stage tonight. Obviously the theme was 'George'. His own and other Beatles songs were featured throughout.

Too many to mention but for me the stand outs were "Here Comes The Sun" from Steve Harley - who was sensational throughout - and "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" by a duo called 'Dare' featuring an organist [ex Thin Lizzie whose name escapes me] and an amazing acoustic guitarist/vocalist.

Local rebel rouser Pete Wylie [Mighty Wah]- who was on next last - joked before launching into his tribute song - "I got the short straw - there's only Ringo 'B' sides left!!"

A pulsating "Badge" - which George had penned with Eric Clapton - confirmed that Pete was only kidding. As ever. It's one thing we Scousers are good at as I'm sure most interested folks already realise.

Treasured memories topped finally by one that will linger.

As everybody was trooping off after a rousing "My Sweet Lord" with about 10,000 Hari Krishnas on the stage, the local jockey Billy Butler MBE [which stands for Mrs Butlers Eldest btw]introduced a person whom he termed a well known local drunk.

Now I swear I have never behaved like a teenybopper in my entire life. Even when I was one. I would rather be garrotted. Not in all the years I've been attending concerts. Sure I have shouted and yelled and hollered and roared and sang and danced and jigged about with the best of them. Never though have I screamed like a little teeny.

Well tonight I'm afraid I have to say that I broke that record. At the age of fifty-one I finally flipped my lid.

As the man strolled impromptu onto his hometown stage I swear the entire place went completely stark raving mad. Myself no more or no less than anybody else.

Paul's arrival was, you see, totally unannounced and unexpected. Nobody dared even dream that another Beatle would lend their royal seal of approval to the occasion. By way of some sort of explanation, we Scousers are simply not a presumptuous breed. Very demanding yes. But honestly we expect very little. Tonight was no different. Yes we'd have all loved the man to show up but nobody suspected it for one minute.

Hence, the sheer unadulterated mania. It really is the only way to describe how we all reacted. Everybody was hugging and kissing each other as if a winning goal - touch down to you lot - had just been scored in an FA Cup Final - Superbowl to you fellas. Only on such rare high drama sporting occasions have I ever seen displays of sheer emotion to equal it. In front of us two old grannies - and I mean grannies in their seventies - were jumping up and down with unbounded joy and exhilaration. After embracing my wife and sister I hopped over the back of their seats to join the jig of delight with the two old dears. The rapture continued for what must have been fully three minutes before the more sensible ones amongst us [not me btw] managed somehow to restore some order so a clearly overwhelmed Paul McCartney could speak.

He proceeded to tell us of his life in the land of submarines and the town where he was born. How he and George were the first Beatles to meet. From Ardwick Road, Speke they used to get the number 82 bus - cue thunderous cheers of recognition from the many thousands of 82 bus drivers who had somehow managed to get tickets for the show [joke btw] - into Liverpool. He was clearly finding it difficult to talk and said he would sing instead.

Unaccompanied he and us sang "Yesterday" with the lyrics modified for George. For the first verse some of us quietly clapped the beat to help him out as he was clearly finding it difficult with all the emotion. For the next verse and middle eight we sang with him. For the final bits he then motioned us to sing without him. Which we did. As sweetly as three thousand Scousers ever could. It was sublime. Never better. Not even back in 1965 I'm sure. We could all have been in his front parlour in Speke.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Alan: This is one of the most moving accounts of "things Beatle and things Scouser" that I have read in some time. When I sit down to the George Harrison DVD, I will see it very differently after reading this moving account of what has to be a cherished moment in your lifetime.

From where I come from, it has indeed been "a long cold lonely winter." Thank you for throwing a log on the fire and welcoming us in!
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
albie

Post by albie »

Thanks Peter. It truly was a very moving night and I'm delighted to be able to convey some of its emotion to someone such as your goodself with such a genuine enthusiasm for it.

Given your external enthusiasm for the subject matter and my own in-house zeal I'm sure over time I'll be able to lend you some insight into this whole 'Liverpool' thing which maybe does have something indefinable and fascinating about it.

For starter, I'm not sure if you are aware of several pertinent books which would provide a wealth of information for yourself and your students as you compile your data. I'm pretty sure both are available on Amazon. If not then you're welcome to my own copies.

MERSEYPRIDE
Essays in Liverpool Exceptionalism
by Professor John Belchem

LIVERPOOL
Wondrous Place
Music from Cavern to Cream
by Paul Du Noyer
mark_telfer
Veteran RRF member

Post by mark_telfer »

Well, Alan, if you remember a 5'4" Scotsman in a blue polo neck in Pete Wylie's band playing a Mapleglo 370/12RM through a Fender Twin and singing backing vocals, that was me. Little did I know that I would be the only one playing a Rickenbacker 12-string that night and I must admit feeling a huge sense of responsibility that I was representing an absent Roger McGuinn. All of the musicians gave our services free for Macmillan Cancer Relief.

The gig was a big moment for all of the musicians invited to take part, although to be honest, with there being so little time between George's death and his would-be 2002 birthday, the organisers had a hard job gaining commitment from a number of big acts (e.g. Oasis) who took too long to reply to taking part and finally didn't.

The result was that the bill was put together at the last minute. Pete Wylie was asked to take part with just over a week to go and he recruited me in a pub with three days to go! The Blue Meanies turned up for the soundcheck at Pete's invitation without having a slot in the show at all and were going to disappear to the pub, but I suggested that they hang around and, sure enough, they were given the opening slot. The Blue Meanies later met Sir Paul and it must have gladdened his heart to meet a young Beatle tribute band (all aged 21-26) actually from Liverpool, with real hair and real Scouse accents.

I met Sir Paul backstage, a minute before he went on stage, and we shook hands. He looked very fit and well, if a shade apprehensive about the emotional rendition of "Yesterday" to come. I was still wearing the 370/12RM at the time and realised later that he had been watching me on the Rick from backstage. The handshake was enough for me. Somehow I felt that asking for an autograph would be intrusive, because these four guys had given us their lives already.

From an emotional point of view, we all felt that George was with us that night, but from an artistic point of view and knowing the haphazard way that the show had been put together, I have to admit that the show really needed Sir Paul's presence to give the audience value for money.

Someone made a video of the entire evening and there was a webcast, but I have not yet tracked down a copy of the video and I know a number of people who could not view the webcast.

Sir Paul didn't appear in the bar afterwards, but everyone else did, including The Merseybeats. After going back to the dressing room, I stood on the stage one last time at about 12.45am, until the security man came along and kicked me out. But it was worth it !!!
"But the man has a 47-string guitar." (Grace Slick on Paul Kantner's attempt to tune his 366/12 during a Winterland show of October 31 1969).
albie

Post by albie »

Thanks for that Mark. Great insight behind the scenes.

I will take issue with you though.

I think you're being far too self effacing about the show prior to Paul's cameo appearance. Certainly all our lot had thoroughly enjoyed it prior to then.

I would say, ironically, that Pete Wylie's vocals were maybe not as on blob as his band and other artists but his sheer enthusiasm and passion for all things Beatle and Scouse came across as you'd expect - especially on his 'Heart as Big as Liverpool' [a personal fave of mine as you might expect]. You yourself deserve a massive pat on the back for your own selflessness.

What came over most of all was the show's humility and impromptuness [word?]. Yes there was an absence of any sophistication but that if anything made what was on offer more accessible. Also each of the artist[s] genuinely seemed grateful just to be there to pay respects as distinct from being seen to be 'there' as so often seems to be the case with 'tribute' nights. Live Aid anyone?

The audience felt likewise, of course. As such there was a feeling of communion and togetherness that you don't always get at a gig unless it be a Springsteen gig or such like with devoted legions.

On the night everybody in the audience wanted to show they cared for one of their own. The artists responded with heartfelt performances. You can't buy that sort of spirit and overall you couldn't have asked for more.

Paul may have been exciting icing but the cake itself was pretty damn good too.

:-0)

Return to “Liverpool Project: by Admin”