'Mersey Beat' (the paper). Swinging Blue Jea

History and music of Liverpool
miguel
RRF Consultant

'Mersey Beat' (the paper). Swinging Blue Jea

Post by miguel »

Let´s see if the scan is clear enough to read the article. I should have scanned the text only, but I wanted the ads to appear too, and it was too much: the file was enormous!
This is The Swinging Blue Jeans in late December 1963, just after 'Hippy Hippy Shake'. The article appeared in 'Mersey Beat' Vol 3, Nº 63, December 19th 1963.

With the permission of Bill Harry. Visit Bill Harry's great Mersey Beat site at http://triumphpc.com/mersey-beat/
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

As we go to press, The Swinging Blue Jeans record of 'Hippy Hippy Shake' is rapidly climbing the National charts. Record shops both here and in the South have been inundated with orders for the record."
Interesting that the author of this brief article speaks of the "South" and not just the "south." Another Liverpool group rides high. What excitement there must have been for the group at this stage of there career.

Thanks for posting this Miguel. I find that there is always something to be learned from clipping such as this.
"guitar solo by Ralph Ennis."
Just to add from another source, Ray Ennis, that the solo was played on a 1962 Stratocaster through a Vox-AC30 amplifier. Go figure! This has to be one of the most captivating songs of the 1960s. Pure energy. I can only imagine the piercing tones of this lead guitar in the Cavern. It doesn't get much better than this.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
miguel
RRF Consultant

Post by miguel »

You are right, Peter. There was a lot of excitement back then, wasn´t there? Glad to see you like the clippings. More to follow soon! I´ll try to make the next one more readable!
rictified

Post by rictified »

Were they the ones who did the great cover of "Tobacco Road"? Nope, the Nashville Teens, what happened to them? And were they from Liverpool?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Bob: The Nashville Teens were British and from Weybridge, Surrey, England. I also found their follow-up, "Google Eye" to be fun.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

"Tobacco Road", great, loud bass on that. Produced by the late great Mickie Most who also produced most Animals hits and among others, Herman's Hermits "I'm Into Something Good" and Donovan's "Hurdy Gurdy Man", which featured Jimmy Page on Guitar, J.P.Jones on bass and John Bonham on drums. Where have I heard those guys? Call me Mr. Trivia.
rictified

Post by rictified »

Yeah I loved the bass on that song (what was that, a Hofner?), don't remember the follow up though. I always thought it was "The Jeff Beck Group" that played "Hurdy Gurdy Man" Great song! Nope I'm thinking of the other unpronouncable unspellable one (Peter knew that one last year if I remember correctly) coo coo, bla bla what's my name now?

Return to “Liverpool Project: by Admin”