Nameplate changes over the years....

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Headbanger

Nameplate changes over the years....

Post by Headbanger »

I'm trying to get a handle on when "MADE IN USA" got introduced on the nameplate and then moved from under Rickenbacker to above the nut.
Introduced 1964? changed 1967-8?
The Smith book shows a '63 bass without, I have a '64 with and then what?
Can anyone help with a difinitive time frame?
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

No one can .As someone who sat between Bill Myers office and the checkout area and screened these when I was needing a break from the crew on the floor,I can tell you that there is no reason for this other than the condition of the screens.And who ever was using them.Some of them had holes in the or they were so used they did not have the crisp lines any longer.Those were sent out to be redone and so you see changes.The biggest change was the raising letter plates of the 1974 era.

I do not know if this screening is still in house.It may not be .The fumes were horrible and I did it with no fan and no respirator.What a **** poor buzz.
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!
Headbanger

Post by Headbanger »

Knock, knock!!
Who is it?
Dave!
Who?
Dave!!
Dave's not here...
Headbonger

Post by Headbonger »

Sorry, memories of youth come floooding back...

I've been looking at John William's page and it does look like it was a bit of a lottery. He has '64's with all three types.
I'm looking for one for a '64 and what it boils down to is either or is ok.
Thanks
glen_l

Post by glen_l »

I had a quick look at the '64 Section of 'The 325 Connection' which shows a range of 325s from January to August in 1964. Every unit which can be clearly made out has the 'made in USA' text under the Rickenbacker logo. It would seem that a '64 Ric should have the 'made in USA' in that position
rick12dr
Veteran RRF member

Post by rick12dr »

Another nameplate item is how many models came with a plate that designated that model on the plate,i.e., "model 360-12", which would be parallel to the nut.I know I've seen plates that read , Model 360, Model 360-12. Model 4001,can't recall others like if there was 370.Comments on others observations of this detail??
Headbanger

Post by Headbanger »

Glen, yes I agree, this logo seems to mostly have been used '64-67. Mine is a Nov '64 and is this type. I thought it changed to above the nut sometime in '67.
Going through the Smith book it also appears that all the early gold plates don't have made in USA on them?? Or is it pre '64 plates this applies to??
Dr, didn't the model no. feature start in the '70's like Mark indicates.

I stand to be corrected on all this - that's the idea.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Dr and all: My observations lead me to believe that the Model Identified Nameplates began in the early 1970s about 1973 or so and continued until the late 1980s perhaps 1988. It is likely that further analysis will increase this range. Whether the model number appears on the nameplate seems to vary considerably from one model to another and I am wondering if there was any consistent practice. I have seen the 250, 360, 360-12, 480, 481, 483, 620, 4001 and 4080 models with identifying namplates but only from photographs. I am sure there must have been more. From a manufacturing point of view, this must have been a nightmare to keep up and perhaps that is why the practice was discontinued.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
rick12dr
Veteran RRF member

Post by rick12dr »

Peter,
I first saw real Ricks in '66,and some of these, mostly 360s, Did have model numbers on them.I also had in the mid 80s, a nice 330 which had the model number on it.And discussing this with another friend who had a 450-12 said that guitar did as well, from '67.So, I guess a vage answer is, Sometimes they had it, sometimes they
didn't.Kind of like an anomaly I noticed in the 70s when I bought an early 70s blond Gibson 335, which was missing dotted letter " i" s on the headstock logo.What's with that?I recently got a great Gibson ES 355 from '72 that is like that as well.Go figure..
rick12dr
Veteran RRF member

Post by rick12dr »

Oops, I forgot to say that 330 I had was a '66...

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”