325 questions

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Mike_D.

325 questions

Post by Mike_D. »

I want to get a 325. Will the Bigsby or the Accent vibrato stay in better tune? Does the 5th tone knob make a discernible difference in tonal quality? I can't afford both guitars. I bought a new '99 360/6 a few months ago and have become hooked on Rickenbackers. I found your forum not long after and find it most interesting. I'd appreciate any and all advice concerning this dilemma. I'm certain I'm not the only one with these particular quandaries. Thanks.
Frank_S

Post by Frank_S »

Go w/the v59.
Bigsby,thicker body/more sustain.The 5th knob is interesting, but not a necessity IMO.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The best use of the fifth knob, in my view, is to use it as a volume control for the middle pickup. That way it is possible to use your guitar with any combination of pickups.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
Mike_D.

Post by Mike_D. »

Hey guys, thanks for the advice. After much thought I bought the 325v59. I have to admit I was swayed by looks as well as utilitarian considerations. I like the diamond knobs and the gold pickguard/nameplate and I think the Bigsby will stay in tune better. It's a weird color, turquoise, (more on the green side than the blue,) and can be viewed online at Fred's Music in Lancaster, Pa. I hope I won't regret not having the 5th knob.
I'll continue to visit the forum and report on the state of the guitar after it arrives sometime next week and I've played it for awhile.
Matt_Bassett

Post by Matt_Bassett »

I've eyeballed that guitar several times on their website, and it's very nice looking. The red one they have looks pretty slick, too. Concerning your quandary about the fifth knob: having guitars outfitted with both four and five knobs myself I really don't think you'll miss that fifth knob much.
Frank_S

Post by Frank_S »

Ditto Matt.
Had I not sprung for a 325C, I would've bought one of those odd colored 325's at Fred's.
It's a beauty. Congrats.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Mike: I am sure you will be pleased with your guitar and I am also sure you won't miss the fifth knob. You may even want to rewire your four knob configuration so that each pickup has its own volume control and the fourth knob is for tone control. My two cents. Congratulations on your new purchase.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
Mike_D.

Post by Mike_D. »

The new Ricky is here! It is indeed a beauty! The color is very much as shown on the website, but much to my suprise and pleasure, it appears to be a fine metal flake paint under many coats of clear lacquer. The depth of the finish is perceptible. The action is good and it plays well. The intonation is a little off. I think it might be the old strings. Serial # indicates March '99 manufacture. I'll change them soon and see. (Speaking of changing strings, does anyone have any tips on how to achieve a clean factory-like anchor & wrap on the tuning machines? That's so classy! I almost hate to take off the factory strings.) The guitar sounds great. Unmistakably Rickenbacker! Switch in the middle, both tone knobs full treble, bridge pick-up full on, middle & neck pick-ups almost full on but not quite because it gets a little muddy. (The hi-gain neck pick-up on the 360/6 is muddy like that, too.) Played through a Fender Twin-Reverb amp. - clean. Thanks again one and all for your interest and advice. I've enjoyed and share your enthusiasm for the inimitable qualities of these guitars, and of their fabled history and influence on the music of those who have played them. Pick it!

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”