Post of picture of you PLAYING your ric

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

BMR1911

Re: Post of picture of you PLAYING your ric

Post by BMR1911 »

Humby Jack wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:41 am BMR... your lucky bugger ... how do you find the time to play all three.
I go through phases on which one is the favorite, those go for abou 4-6 months. Up until about 6 months ago it was only the FG and MG then I found the fretless after a couple years search. Quite often the songs we’re playing that Sunday will dictate which bass gets used. Its really been a blessing to have three different voices to choose from.
pag
Intermediate Member

Post by pag »

I’m now using the Line 6 Helix Rack and Controller. I can run in true stereo via the returns using separate paths for the two pickups and I can either use summed mono (L) out into an onstage (SVT3) amp and also mono XLR out the desk or (for recording for instance) use L+R stereo outputs. Away from the rehearsal room I use one of my Ampeg SVT3 heads and an SVT112AV cab to tweak my onstage sound whilst keeping the Di unaltered. It sounds as good as using actual amps cabs and effects (I use an expression pedal for wah wah and my Malekko B*assmaster is also routed through the send/returns and triggered from the Controller). Although not as sophisticated as the Kemper it does everything I want at a slightly lower price.
66975242-49D3-48D9-9FC2-581917FE9C43.jpeg
krabapple

Post by krabapple »

Long ago (like, 45 years)...in a galaxy far away (called Yonkers)...playing my 1977 4001... that I still use.

Me_rick_rising_sun.jpg
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

Most recent (11/4/23) with my '73 4001.

1-JOEY.jpg
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

rickenbrother wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:05 pm Most recent (11/4/23) with my '73 4001.

1-JOEY.jpg
I assume that you're playing through the Vox, but is that a Sunn stack I see behind you?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Isaac wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:19 pm
rickenbrother wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:05 pm Most recent (11/4/23) with my '73 4001.

1-JOEY.jpg
I assume that you're playing through the Vox, but is that a Sunn stack I see behind you?
I hope it's Joey who own the sunn (o)))
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

jps wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:44 pm
Isaac wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:19 pm
I hope it's Joey who own the sunn (o)))
I'm playing through my pseudo-Vox rig.
I wish the Sunn o)) head was mine, especially since it would be perfect in a Jimi Hendrix Experience tribute band as that's the brand Noel Redding used. I do use a Jazz Bass that looks like Noel's on about 75% of the songs but I break out the 4001 for the rest. I'm just inherently programmed to do that. :mrgreen:

On another note, my Markbass Littlemark Tube amp hidden in the Vox head wouldn't power up. Good thing I had my Baroni Labs pedal amp as a back. the bass sounded terrible through the venue's PA monitors.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

There are people who could set you up with a Sunn rig.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Isaac wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:51 pm There are people who could set you up with a Sunn rig.
:mrgreen: :D

The only sunn (o))) gear I have owned was a second version Concert Bass amp that I had in my first Top 40/Disscho® band in '77-'78, and a 1969 Sorado cab that I put Eminence Deltas in (I traded that to Chris Pappas in 2005 as partial payment for the 4001V63 I got from him).

The Sorado with the Mesa DC-2 I had in the early '00s.
Mesa-Sunn Amp A .jpg
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

jps wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:09 pm
Isaac wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:51 pm There are people who could set you up with a Sunn rig.

The only sunn (o))) gear I have owned was a second version Concert Bass amp that I had in my first Top 40/Disscho® band in '77-'78, and a 1969 Sorado cab that I put Eminence Deltas in (I traded that to Chris Pappas in 2005 as partial payment for the 4001V63 I got from him).

Mesa-Sunn Amp A .jpg
I know I could get Sunn gear, in fact, the brand has recently been relaunched...but do I really feel like schelping heavy gear around anymore? In my younger days, sure no problem. Lifting heavy gear was almost fun. Now I want as light as possible. Gibson made a robotic guitar. How about a robotic amp that can get itself in and out of the car and on and off the stage. Lots of guys playing without amps these days. Just bring a really good amp sim preamp and go into the PA.

I used to have a Sunn amp in the 80's. It's long gone.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

rickenbrother wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:05 pm
jps wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:09 pm

Mesa-Sunn Amp A .jpg
I know I could get Sunn gear, in fact, the brand has recently been relaunched...but do I really feel like schelping heavy gear around anymore? In my younger days, sure no problem. Lifting heavy gear was almost fun. Now I want as light as possible. Gibson made a robotic guitar. How about a robotic amp that can get itself in and out of the car and on and off the stage. Lots of guys playing without amps these days. Just bring a really good amp sim preamp and go into the PA.

I used to have a Sunn amp in the 80's. It's long gone.
I hear ya! Over the past 40 years, or so, I have been graduating to lighter gear. I got my first Walter Woods amp (MI100-8, used) in the early '80s and have had two others since more recently. I got my Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 in 2012, and for smaller gigs and rehearsals, a Markbass Minimark in 2006. Besides those, I have had a Markbass LM II and an F1, and for a while an Eden WT400 (small, but not all that light, likewise, with the Ampeg PB250 I had in the mid '00s).

As to lighter speaker cabinets, I've had a few Dr. bAss cabs, and a succession of great Low Down Sound (LDS) cabinets made for me by Don Oatman. I still have the mirror-imaged pair Don made in 2014.
Minimark-1200_4268.jpg
Rig-1200_0085a.jpg
Rig-1200_0089.jpg
teeder

Post by teeder »

A few years ago I downsized to a Mesa Subway D800+ with a single 15 cab. My absolute favorite amp!
Unfortunately, I only got to gig it twice before retiring.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

teeder wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:38 am A few years ago I downsized to a Mesa Subway D800+ with a single 15 cab. My absolute favorite amp!
Unfortunately, I only got to gig it twice before retiring.
Is it the Subway 15 you have? All the Mesa Subway gear gets lots of praise on Talkbass, and the designer/engineer of it (Andy Field) is a regular on TB. The Subway series came onto the market just after I was done gigging. The Tone Hammer/LDS rig I have has done only two gigs, too, before I stopped playing in bands, one time with one of the cabs, the other with both. I only have a couple of sort of crummy pics of those two gigs and neither of them show the amps. :roll:

One cab gig. The two LEDs of the Aguilar is lighting up my back (they are so bright! :shock:; makes for a nice looking photo, though :mrgreen: ).
Beachland Tavern-AguilarGlo.jpg
Two cab gig. The amp is behind me.
CC-Fair-140810-1200_0439.jpg

This was the proggy-psycho-delic-jammy band; no country music was harmed during the 10 months I was with them.

I sold the Walter Woods amp a few years ago. I still have the SKB rack with the SL Waber power strip and Korg DTR-1 tuner.
teeder

Post by teeder »

Yes, subway 15. I had intention of getting a Subway 2x10 to go with it, but never got around to it. I do still have an Ampeg SVT-210 cab that sounds fantastic paired with the 15.
Resized_IMG_2927.jpeg
IMG_4494.JPG
Not sure why that one is sideways.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

teeder wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:22 pm Yes, subway 15. I had intention of getting a Subway 2x10 to go with it, but never got around to it. I do still have an Ampeg SVT-210 cab that sounds fantastic paired with the 15.

Resized_IMG_2927.jpeg
IMG_4494.JPG

Not sure why that one is sideways.
Gravity is always a good excuse to use.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”