Composition of a Rickenbacker Nut

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

admin
Site Admin

Composition of a Rickenbacker Nut

Post by admin »

No this is not a description of my latest ballad, but I am wondering if you know the material that Rickenbacker nuts are made from. I have received mail from people who have used all manner of substances including brass, the Rickenbacker white nut, the black nut and even bone. So why did Rickenbacker decide on the material they are using now? What affect on the sound will nuts of different composition have? Out of context this discussion could be misleading to say the least.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

Your nut has NO affect on the tone of the instrument once you fret the string.It is out of the loop of tone.Period.

Nut material has two jobs to perform and an expectation of longevity
the first job is to hold the string above the frets/fretboard ,to clear the frets

the second task is to hold the strings in an even spacing to facilitate easy fingering.

What it is made out of doesn't make much difference .BUT!!! you do want something that will last and not break.

I use bone,phenolic,black linen phenolic,Mycarta,Delrin,Nylatron,Glass filled resin in sheet form that a machine shop gave me.It's a killer on files but lasts a long time.

I used to make Brass nuts but they kill my files ,so I won't anymore.

rickenbacker has used a Black phenolic material since the late 1960's.
It appears to have changed.But not that much.It is an antique "plastic",and may not be around much longer.Sorry to say .
JH could answer that one better than I .

Corian is too brittle for most applications and I have stopped using it.
So did CF Martin.

The white Rick nut material is Delrin.Unless they changed what I got from them when Brian Carman was the plant manager.
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!
Gary_Cost

Post by Gary_Cost »

The '58 325 that Lennon used had an extreamly 'wide' nut. It is thought that it was two regular nuts glued together, thus explaining the apparent 'seam' down the center. Did this come that way from the factory? Why would this have been done?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ok Mark your point with regard to tone is acknowledged for all strings that are against a fret, however, there are a number of chords in the first position that have open strings. In your experience how does the composition of the nut make a difference for these open strings, if at all.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

The composition of the nut material needs to be hard.And that is just so it lasts a long time.

The metal nuts that I have made have a much crisper sound but don't match the sound of fingers on strings ,on frets.
The bone and phenolic nuts seem to have the best 'tone'.Mycarta is also something that I have had great success with .It is a good alternative to bone ,and it does not smell like the dentist office .Plus it has that creamey white look that is so familiar.(althoughh it does come in many colors ,I only buy the ivory/cream color)

When you use a soft material it sometimes softens the tone as well but it won't last and no one will pay for that,nor would you want it.
I have made wooden nuts before ,but they don't last and the sound is too dissimilar to warrant doing it.

Any one care to comment on the sound differance between the Rick white nuts (Delrin) vs. the black nut material ( Phenolic)?
rick12dr
Veteran RRF member

Post by rick12dr »

Mark, When did Rick switch to Delrin for the white nut material? When I was there in '72, the
white ones were still bone, as I had asked Terry Deason[one of the neck fretting guys]about this.
I had assumed they were ivory, but he said , No, they were made from animal bone. So then I said, OK, but what are the black ones made of? He
deadpanned and said, with a straight face, Oh,
those are made from Black Elephant Nuts!Of course, as Mark just said, they are Really[!!]
phenolic ,AKA "Bakelite", basically the same stuff used to make the old 50s Fender Tele black
pickguards.So guys, now you can go tell your friends how exotic your Ricks are with their
"Genuine Black Elephant Nuts" on them!!!
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

About the time that Brian Carman when back to work for them,was the time era ...I don't know if it was something that JH or Brian came up with,if I was asked I'd say JH.
the delrin seems to work fine .I have never tried it as a guitar nut ,but for basses ...looks to be ok.I don't know if it is still being used or if B.E.N.'s are the only material used.

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”