Difference between 6 and 12 sring

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

carr

Difference between 6 and 12 sring

Post by carr »

I placed an add for Rickenbackers a while back and have just received this email

"I have a 1967 330-12 string with hard shell case. It is a red fireglo in
excellant condition except missing the name plate and six of the tuners."

Is there any substantial difference beween a 6 and 12 string body and electrics. Obviously machine heads bridge saddles and tailpiece may differ.

John
rick12dr
Veteran RRF member

Post by rick12dr »

"I have a 1967 330-12 string with hard shell case. It is a red fireglo in
excellant condition except missing the name plate and six of the tuners."

Is there any substantial difference beween a 6 and 12 string body and electrics. Obviously machine heads bridge saddles and tailpiece may differ.
If you end up getting this 330-12,it sounds to me like someone took 6 of the 12 original tuners off and used it as a 6 string. Do this; just order a Current reissue set, and install them where the regular 6 tuners go. But install the Originals in the slotted trench side-mount positions.I think
a '67 330-12 would have the same "R " tailpiece as a deluxe model 360-12.It may well still have the original bridge,with 6 saddles with double
slots cut in each for the strings.I'd get a 12 saddle new Rick bridge, personally. On the nameplate? Perhaps some kind soul on the Forum here can help you, as Rick won't sell them separately without a tradein.
Mark-T

Post by Mark-T »

John,

If you decide on getting the 12 saddle
bridge, you should also order the foot
plate that goes under it as well. I have
several of the older bridges here, and
the 4 corner screws DO NOT line up with
the 4 divets on the older plates.

FYI

---MT
rick12dr
Veteran RRF member

Post by rick12dr »

Good point, Mark.If you own a Rick mfd. since
mid 80s, all you need is the bridge and not the plate, as all the bridges,6 0r 12 way share the same plates.But the post mid 80s bridges and plates are Not interchangeable with 60s and 70s items.
carr

Post by carr »

Thanks for the info guys. It turns out that the ric in question is in US of A not Australia. Hm must find out where the owner saw my ad..

John
J.Phelps

Post by J.Phelps »

Reading Mark-T's comment made me think about a missing hex screw on my '66 335's bridge. Does anyone know where I can order a replacement?
rick12dr
Veteran RRF member

Post by rick12dr »

Mr. Phelps, Tell me where you live, and is the color of the rest of the hex screws[you Do mean the 4 corner height adjustment screws, right?]
black? I have them and I can just send you one. You are in the US? email me at rick12dr@aol.com

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”