Ampeg V-2

Let's talk guitar amplfiers

Moderator: jingle_jangle

rob
Veteran RRF member

Ampeg V-2

Post by rob »

I am pondering the question on whether to sell or not my Ampeg V-2 head unit. (Sorry, I don't have the matching speaker cabinet, I just have the head amp itself.)

As far as I know, no modifications have been done to it, so it still uses the "hard-to-get" pair of 7027 power tubes. I only know of Sovtek who still carries them, and that's what I have.

I date-coded the potometers to 1979. I couldn't find a date of manufacture code. The tolex also has no rips/tears/stains on it.

So, the question is, how much could this be worth in very good condition?
rictified

Post by rictified »

Sovtek just started making those too. Why do you want to sell it? It's probably worth more realistically than you could get for it, unless the Ampeg guitar heads have become more fashionable lately. I've always liked the sound of them when they were overdriven. Check the prices on Ebay for a few weeks, that should give you a decent idea.
rob
Veteran RRF member

Post by rob »

I'm actually looking to make room for other stuff, and all this thing does is sit in a corner.
I'm just making a list of thing I don't use to possibly sell. This is the only thing musically related, for now. But, I have had ideas for buying a cabinet for it, but that won't be for a while. I don't know. Maybe in a while, I'll make up my mind. In the meantime, I was just curious on what the going prices are, and can't seem to find anything on EBay except for someone selling a service manual. Did they make a small amount of these? Can't seem to find many of these around.
rictified

Post by rictified »

The V-4's were a lot more popular back in the 70's which were 100 watts, you never really saw a lot of V-2's around which are what? 50? 55?, I think the V-2 would make more sense nowadays.
rob
Veteran RRF member

Post by rob »

60 watts, it says on the back.

I never understood the "on-off" switch for the reverb. It's the first and only time I saw this, where it locks in place while lifting up on the springs when the reverb is'nt in use. Having it on the back is an awkward place to put it, too. Anyway, the reverb doesn't sound that great, and I like to use my Lafayette Echo-Verb II instead. Otherwise, it is a pretty good sounding amp.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I think that switch is a lock to prevent damage to the springs while transporting the amp.
rictified

Post by rictified »

Yeah, you see a lot of Fenders with broken or unhooked springs from getting thrown around.
rob
Veteran RRF member

Post by rob »

The reason why I don't care for the built in reverb is that it sounds cheesy. Not much sound from it. I've heard that Ampeg was known for this. Or would it be that the springs are too stretched out, if possible?
rictified

Post by rictified »

I don't know, most people that I knew who used them turned them up close to ten and played straight with no effects. I think Fenders are known for their reverbs sound. (at least the crash of them, haha!)
rob
Veteran RRF member

Post by rob »

What would a reasonable price be for this amp?
As I said before, it's in very good shape. It's been well taken care of.
marc61

Post by marc61 »

Vintage Guitar Price Guide lists it $300-$450 in excellent condition.
" It's not where you are, it's who you're with.".
rob
Veteran RRF member

Post by rob »

Would that be with or without the matching speaker cabinet? I would probably assume with the cabinet. I just have the amp head.
rictified

Post by rictified »

I would think just the head although that sounds a little high to me.
marc61

Post by marc61 »

Just the 60 watt head
" It's not where you are, it's who you're with.".
rictified

Post by rictified »

If it's really nice take some nice pictures, describe it really well and put it on ebay with a high reserve.

Return to “Greg's Amplifier and Tube Tech Forum: by Greg Simon”