For the love of god

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

anonymous

For the love of god

Post by anonymous »

Ok. I love my 360, but I am having problems with it. One, there is a very small nick on the fretboard, it is near where the string touches the fretboard, is this going to get worse if I don't fix it? but the bigger problem is the string rattle. I was restringing it and lo and behold, the bridge and tailpiece fell off (shouldn't have taken all the strings off.) Ever since then I have had problems with the strings appearing to radiate from the tailpiece in a skewed position and unevenly, and no matter what I do to the bridge it seems there is a bad rattle especially on the b string. any force in the pick attack and that string sounds terrible. These are very basic questions but I have absolutely no clue what to do about this.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Anon: These concerns, as troubling as they may be at the moment, are minor and can be fixed. I expect that Mark Arnquist will address your concerns in the near future.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
grsnovi
Veteran RRF member

Post by grsnovi »

The "nick" on the fretboard... is it all the way into the fingerboard or is it only through the finish on the fingerboard? Where exactly is it? (fret/string) When you play, are you fretting "into" this nick?

Fixing the "nick" is relatively trivial.

As to the string problem, I'm not sure that I understand what you're saying. You re-strung. You took off all the strings. The bridge and tailpiece came off. You obviously put them back on. Did you put the bridge back on facing the right way? The heads of the adjustment screws for the bridge saddles should be accessible from the tailpiece side of the bridge. When you re-strung, did you seat the strings back in the grooves on the bridge saddles?

I don't understand how the strings "radiate skewed and unevenly"...

As Peter said, I'm sure that Mark will be able to walk you through this (I'm not a luthier, nor do I play one on TV). I suspect Mark is going to want more info from you before he can give you a good answer.
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

To fix this requires some new cyanoacrylate glue .This can be had from a hobby shop.One that deals in lots of fuel powered model airplanes.

You would need to buy a small bottle of this glue .and a couple of teflon tips.This allows for pinpoint placement of the glue.

The finishes that almost every maker are using ,is for lack of a better term ..sprayable CRAZY GLUE.

Don't buy the water thin stuff...you will have a disaster in the making .

If you are squeamish ...let a pro fix it.

Taking all your strings off.....

WHY NOT???????

The bridge goes right back on !

LETS figure out what is wrong.

Again you need to know the set up check list .(This maybe on my T-shirts that I am having screened)

1-tune to pitch.
2-check truss rod
3-check nut depth
4-set bridge height
5-intonate
6-check for rattles

After all the adjustments are done .THEN you check for rattles.

You may have several things going on.

1-you restrung to a lighter gauge than the guitar was previously setup for
2-the neck has shifted due to a seasonal change.(this is common in instruments under 5 years old)
3-when you played with the height adjustment screws you did not check the string height off the last fret ...if it is almost laying on the frets,turn the screw with the correct HEX wrench to raise that side of the bridge.do this on one screw only!
Then after the height is correct,then screw the second HEX screw until there is pressure on it and the bridge does not rock .

IF you did not check the truss rods before you played with the height of the bridge ,then start over .Go to my posting no HOW NOT to set up a Rick.
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!
anonymous

Post by anonymous »

that last bit about the truss rod...oops. Well thank you for the information!!

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”