Tuning a 325

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

emswife

Tuning a 325

Post by emswife »

Okay, I took it for a test drive today and it pulls to the right...

Seriously, this guitar will NOT stay in tune. About 2 minutes of strumming and it is out of tune again.

Is it that I am playing a far superior guitar that has such subtle nuances or could it be that the strings are the same ones that came on it from the factory 18 months ago and need replaced?

If they need replaced, should I ask GC to do it? If not, should I buy Ric strings or are there other brands that are better?

I also have seen that these may be not a thick enouigh gauge... could that be the problem?

So many questions... so little time...

Post by spencer »

The minimum gauge for a 3/4 scale is .012.
I'd start there, set it back up, adjust the truss rod and give that a shot.
emswife

Post by emswife »

That is a lot of info for a new guitar...

Should I take it back to GC to do all that? Or should I take it to a real luthier?
"Whatcha ya gonna do now, Rich?"
emswife

Post by emswife »

Called GC and they are willing to do whatever it takes (as well they should)... new strings, set-up etc.

Will if they are as good as their word!
emswife

Post by emswife »

Called GC and they are willing to do whatever it takes (as well they should)... new stings, set-up, etc...

We'll see if they are as good as their word!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

New strings will stretch for some time, perhaps that is the issue here.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Patrick, yes 12's or 13's would be advisable here. Do not worry, this guitar will play in turn once the intial adjustments are made.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
grsnovi
Veteran RRF member

Post by grsnovi »

If it is a 325C with the Kaufman Vibrola on it, you'll probably not be happy until the Vibrola is either replaced or locked with the arm removed.

If you paid $799 at GC for their blow-out price, I'll be curious with how much set-up you get from them.
emswife

Post by emswife »

Well, they are restringing the guitar with .11's and doing the set-up for free.

If time is any indication of the quality of the setup or just the workload of their guitar tech, it is taking them 5 working days to set it up.

Don't know how you can tell but if it doesn't stay in tune, GC has a 30 no questions asked guarantee. I am sure they will do just about anything to keep the guitar from coming back.

I have already taken the arm off. Never heard a Beatles tune or any Rickenbacker tune for that matter where it was used... Tom Petty, the Byrds, none of them.

Thanks for your words.
mike_d

Post by mike_d »

Rics are not included in their 30 day return policy. They used to put stickers on all Rics stating as such.
325c64 JG,325c58 JG, 325/12v63 JG, 350v63 JG, 1996 FG, 360/12c63 FG, 360/6 Carl Wilson FG, 1993Plus FG, 660/12 FG, 425 FG (1965), 360/12 FG (1965/67)
bill_yantz

Post by bill_yantz »

i don't think the setup will keep it tune like you want. The biggest contributor to it going out of tune is the Kaufman. Pin the Kaufman, as stated below by John Hall, and put heavier gauge strings on it (I recommend Pyramind 13s, flatwound). It will stay in tune much better with this approach.

Pinning the Kaufman.
Bear in mind that the Kauffman can be immobilized, acting just like a trapeze but retaining the original appearance. It's just a matter of removing the Kauffman's cover, placing the assembly on a metal surface like the typical anvil area of a vise, and giving the central axle rivet a tap or two with a ball peen hammer.

Unlike the originals, the modern Kauffmans have a stainless steel aircraft rivet that's quite durable so it's difficult to make a mistake and damage it in this process.

I've pinned a number of units this way and it works like a charm.

Good luck with this Patrick, it worked great for me and is a cinch to do. I would call GC and tell them you want heavier gauge strings. You won't be happy with 11s on a short scale 325, they will play like wet noodles. Try to find either a set of Tomastik 12s or Pyramid 13 flatwounds. If you like round wounds, Ric 12s are what comes standard on it and they are excellent strings. However, I do feel that flats are well suited for the 325. Good luck, I hope this helps.
A British Invasion Tribute
http://www.myspace.com/billyyantz
emswife

Post by emswife »

Bill,

Thanks for the advice. I will let GC do their stuff since it is being done for free and then I will restring it with the 13 flatwounds since they don't seem to agree with that policy. At least their tech is unwilling.

As far as returns, there is nothing in the 30 return policy that specifies that Ric's are not included. And there was no sticker on the guitar stating as such. Just a made in the USA sticker on the pick guard.

Back to immobilizing the Kauffman, I guess you remove the asssembly while you are restringing it, correct? I can imagine laying the whole guistr up in a vise and whacking on it. LOL!By the way, I have already removed the arm so there is no chance of accidentally hitting it...

I know GC thinks they know what they are doing and will tell you so, but I'd rather go with what real players think and do.
spencer

Post by spencer »

You need to tell that tech at GC to look at Ric's website and get a clue. If they set it up with .011s and you get it home and put .013s on it, you'll have to re-adjust the truss rod and reset the intonation. Free setup or not, you'll just end up doing it yourself all over again.
Seriously - get that guy to do a little research on the guitar he's working on. They owe that to you.
emswife

Post by emswife »

Spencer,
I went to the site and copied the info. Then I went to GC and got the name of the tech doing the setups (he isn't even in the store). I stopped by his shop and told him what the Rickenbacker site recommended. He was surprised that I knew more than he did!

In fact, he has only "heard" of Pyramid strings in a catalogue. I told him I would for the difference if he could get them in.

This forum has already proved it's worth in just what I ahve been able to take back to GC. I guess they really are just another chain store.

BTW, I didn't tell you all that the sales guy tried to raise the price when he ran my card. I got a charge of $924.99 instead of $825. At first, he denied it saying that "the case would only be $26 at that price". I told him my son heard it and a guy from another forum I use called to verify the deal I got. I was also on the verge of pointing out the phrase on the front door "Your total satisfaction is our top priority."

Luckily, it didn't come to that. He refunded the $99.99.

So the 325C58-MG with case and tax really did cost just $825. If he has argued I would have given it up as the price was still a steal but, he made good! At least GC stands by their word!
spencer

Post by spencer »

Of course he was suprised that you knew more than he did, those guys know EVERTHING right?

That's good to hear though, next time somebody brings this guy a Rick, he'll know what's up. Cool to have you on the forum - great place, eh?
I've learned a great deal here myself and have become addicted to Rics in the process.
On my 325, I play .012s D'addario 'Chromes' ribbon wound strings and I'm quite happy with them. But I do need to try the Pyramids out...

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”