Ric sound 2pu c/w 3 pu

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

carr

Ric sound 2pu c/w 3 pu

Post by carr »

Is there any dramatic difference between the sound of a 2 pick up version and a 3 pick up version of the same model or is it just subtle shades of tone?.
carr

Post by carr »

I have just come across a 320 3 pick up without sound holes. Is there any real difference in amplified sound between models with soundholes c/w no sound holes. I realise the best thing is to try it but its 120mile round trip so info before I go would be helpful

My wife wants to know what I am gonna do with the rics I am buying.. I dont get her point Image
John
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

I have 24 guitars and my wife asked me that for years.
But now I am gigging again (and really enjoying playing in front of an audience ) and I take 3 to 4 guitars per gig and depending on songs selected I rotate guitars .

She once said ..."why don't you sell the ones you don't play?" .....now she sees me playing all of them ,so now it is "How many more do you think you need?"

She is now a big supporter of this afliction .

Is there a sound difference,yes ,but is it the sound difference you want ?

Peter ,why don't you chime in here and re state your point of view on this .
The 350 three pickup is a nicely altered guitar that has several features that are not stock .Any Rick three pickup can be altered to get some of these sounds or leave it stock .
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

John: My thoughts would be that if you are going to leave the three pickup Rickenbacker stock then I would go for the two pickup models. Having said that, I prefer the three pickup model because of the modifications that you can make to the wiring that will allow you to select any pickup alone or in combination with any of the others. I have wired my middle pickup to the fifth knob which gives me control over the middle pickup volume. My two cents.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

Thanks Peter for your input ,I hope this helps make up your mind on type of model guitar you want to get .
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!
carr

Post by carr »

"John: My thoughts would be that if you are going to leave the three pickup Rickenbacker stock then I would go for the two pickup models."

Ok thanks for that. I am loathe to fiddle with the electrics. I make the asumption that everything done at the factory is done for a purpose and if I dont like it I have to ask why did I buy.

Any comment re 320 with no sound holes compared with say a 330 ?

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”