1963 Rickenbacker B14A amplifier

Tube and solidstate amplifiers made by Rickenbacker

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Mickey_Edwards

1963 Rickenbacker B14A amplifier

Post by Mickey_Edwards »

Tracy,
I was given your name as someone who could probably help me with my problem. I have recently purchased a (as best as I can tell by dating the pots) 1963 Rick amp model B14A. The amp has a rather large cabinet with grey tolex with grey grill cloth (that was spray painted grey), one 12" Jensen P12Q speaker, normal channel and vibrato channel with the original footswitch. The grill cloth appears to be orignal even though the reverse side of the grill cloth is very similar to Fender grill cloth except it is brown and gold instead of silver and black found on Fender amps. I'm wondering if the grey spray job could be factory original? Also I can't find any schematics for this thing. I even checked with the Rickenbacker tech folks and they didn't have one. Can you tell me if the current tubes that are in my amp are the correct ones for this model?. They are: 3-12AX7's, 2-6V6GT, 1-5Y3GT. Any info you could give me would be appreciated. Also, what would this amp probably be worth.
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

The gray spray is factory spec.

That is the correct tube set.

It is unfortunate that we don't have every amp schematic online but I'm always amazed at how many we still DO have. We run across old copies of schematics from time to time and will certainly keep posing them as we find them.
aladams

Post by aladams »

Mr. Hall, I can copy and email you a schematic of my old Rick Supersonic (B-16) if you don't have one. Let me know. AL A.
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

Thanks, but you'll note that this is one of the ones already posted on our website.
tracy
Veteran RRF member

Post by tracy »

As Mr. Hall mentioned, your B14A is as it should be. I don't have a schematic but I do have an M14A (earlier version) which I believe is quite similar. I substituted a 5Z4 rectifier for the 5Y3GT and got quite a boost in headroom with no ill effect to the amp. The 5Z4 rectifier has the same filament current as the 5Y3, but has an indirectly heated cathode, thus, less sag. This is a neat trick for Fender Champs as well. I use my Rickenbacker M14A on the gig and it kicks butt!
Show him the shirts, Adrian.

Return to “Rickenbacker Amplifiers”