Bring Back 320B

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

miked

Bring Back 320B

Post by miked »

Hello all: It seems that many of us are caught up in the reissue frenzy these days. I assume that it is mostly because of the Beatle connection to these guitars. That was certainly a factor in my searching out of a 325. And now that I've had one for a while, I can say what a comfortable guitar to play this short scale wonder truly is! The point of this post is to ask, why limit this model to expensive special issues that exactly replicate the guitar as it was 40 yrs. ago? How about the re-introduction of this model as a regular production guitar? In my estimation, the most common sense version of this guitar was the 320B, which I think was issued in the early '80's. Arguably, I think it's safe to say that most of us probly don't use the vibrato very much anyway, and that most of us would prefer the vintage pick-ups. So after the Lennon/re-issue frenzy is over maybe the folks over at Rickenbacker would consider keeping the guitar in production without the bells & whistles. After all, the tooling is already in place and the V & C series instruments will pay for the set up. Maybe a guitar that lists for $1,500 or so, that could be got out the door for around a grand. I think there would be a considerable market for it, especially among players with small hands - like me! (Very comfortable, as I've said.) And being still a kind of Beatle guitar!
I ran this idea past a fellow at RIC customer service last Friday, (I'd called because I wasn't sure if I should put the warranty for my daughter's 620 in her name or mine) and said that he should mention it to Mr. Hall. Who knows? Any other thoughts on this? Best to all.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Mike: I very much agree. The Model 320 is a nice guitar without the vibrato getting in the way or causing tuning issues. You just have to love the body of this instrument as it is very comfortable to hold.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
miked

Post by miked »

Well gang, I've reassessed the situation and come to the conclusion that the regular production model should be the 310. I for one am always banging into the middle pickup on the 325 and would prefer a little room to pick and strum cleanly. It should sell in the price range of the 620. I'd buy one in a minute. As ever, best to all.

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”