"On Stage"

Answers to your questions about The Searchers
rob_mac

Post by rob_mac »

Sheena

I hope one day that your wish to see the searchers live comes true!!!!!

From Rob
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Yeah Rob, i'd also like to hope it comes true - hey, i am an optimist after all and have a lot to go still! Thank you. Maybe next summer... who knows?..
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
neilhunt

Post by neilhunt »

Did anyone find out whether "On Stage" was really all-new or not?
I have Live III, and despite the so-so production values it's a fun listen, and I'd like more.

In other news, I'm not sure why there'd be a problem with people selling copies on Amazon or elsewhere. Since the CDs all come from the band in the first place, they're still getting their money.
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

As Rob has already stated, most of this material (with the exception of "Seven nights to rock") was released on three "Live" CDs, albeit the versions may be different...
Welcome, BTW! Image
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Neil, apparently the band would not get any money from sales on Amazon,in fact they themselves knew nothing about it be sold commercially till I actually told them.
TODAY'S THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

That is a sad state of affairs Roy. The music biz can be cruel though, as I very well know.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Sad but not so wonderful, at least to me - i'd be, on the contrary, very surprised if the artists got their royalties from records sold at Gorbushka & many other places...
neilhunt

Post by neilhunt »

Hi Sheena... thanks for the welcome (I tried to slip in unnoticed, but I guess that didn't work out).

I guess my question really was whether or not the versions are the same. I wouldn't want to pay for another live album if I already have it, bar one track.

Roy, I agree that the band wouldn't get money if someone sold a used CD on Amazon. My point was that (unless it was a stolen or pirated copy) the band already received their money from the original sale of the CD.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Neil to clarify I was not referring to used copies, this release"On Stage" appeared for sale on Amazon as a normal release not a marketplace thing. Some other online retailers also advertised the release, my point was that The Searchers knew nothing about it. As far as they were concerned it could only be bought at their gigs.

In answer to your other query the album On Stage has three tracks not on Live 111 Seven Nights to Rock, Love's Melody and It's Too Late. Fine if you want these as live tracks as they do not appear on any other live compilation.

Personally I think these Live CD' have run their course.
ozmag

Post by ozmag »

Hi on the subject of whether the live CD's have run their course having been at 3 Searchers concerts in Sydney this month and seen the clamour to buy them, I reckon there remains a strong demand to take home the Searchers sound.

Perhaps an acoustic or ballad version could be on the way...
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Has to be a demand to take home a reminder of the night or people may simply want to hear the tracks with Spencer James vocals.

To me the Searchers sound are the original recordings. Good to know that based on your comment they are going down well though.
ozmag

Post by ozmag »

I suppose it is an old chesnut the "searchers sound" and been discussed to death but whether it was Curtis/Jackson or Penders vocals on the original recordings 40 years ago, the band is now essentially a live band and the sound for the last 20 years is with Spence singing lead, with the same harmonies as for the last 42 years and John and Frank offering their individual contributions. Ed adding another harmony adds to the overall quality of sound as well.

I assume that what people want is a memory of the concert that they attend.
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Good points, Michael. I'd also suggest that while original is original, time ticks by, things change and i like the nowadays line-up as much as i like the old one, but in a different way since it's a different band - on the one hand - but it's still the Searchers, on the other hand.
Welcome, BTW! Image
dbailey62
Veteran RRF member

Post by dbailey62 »

A quick thought regarding the live CD's, I could handle one more if it were properly mixed as opposed to being pretty much all being straight off the mixer.

BTW, I must say that I'm still a bit suspicious regarding certain things about the live discs such as the clarity of Spencer's voice on It's Too Late while the rest of the track is muffled.
mygeneration
Veteran RRF member

Post by mygeneration »

I'm sure there was a lot of "cleaning up" taking place on the recordings. Reminds me of a member of the progressive band IQ who told me once that for a live album they released, they recorded the set, stripped out everything except the drums and the crowd noise and went into the studio to record the rest!
Apparently this is quite common with live albums

Return to “Searchers' Forum: by Roy Clough”