I played this 1996Re C64

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

Kevin, how do these two guitars compare?
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

Hmm, is the 1996 a little wider in the lower bouts, Kevin? Looks like it's a little fatter than the V63, but it may just be the camera angle..
krick
Veteran RRF member

Post by krick »

John and John, I finally had some time to spend with both guitars. Unplugged, the new 1996 is slightly louder which I believe is due to the differences in the construction and bracing. Plugged in, they sound quite different. The new model is much brighter. I believe most of the difference is due to the pickup changes but the older one has Pyramid Gold 13s. I have always thought the RIC strings were brighter. Both guitars are the same width so it must be the camera angle. The new 1996 feels about a half-pound lighter though. Also, the new 1996 has dual truss rods where the older model only has one. The roller bridge is cool and I haven't noticed any rattle yet. Several other minor differences were noticed in headstock shape, pickguard shape/placement, TRC, and the finish shading.
BobKat
Advanced Member

Post by BobKat »

Kev, you got the NAMM display guitar. Sweetness.
rick36

Post by rick36 »

Kevin, do you have a photo of the roller bridge?
P.S. Is there any Ric that you don't have???
Wait a minute - I've got one of them! (Thanks again).
krick
Veteran RRF member

Post by krick »

Bob, I don't think this is the actual 1996 that was displayed at NAMM. It doesn't match the photos I have seen. Here is a link to a close-up photo of it that Jim Wargowski posted in another thread about NAMM.

http://hometown.aol.com/jwargowski/Guitars/Images/1996afg.JPG

I believe RIC made a few of these before the show and used a different one for the display. Mine has a serial number from October 2005, 3 months before NAMM.

James, here you go.

BobKat
Advanced Member

Post by BobKat »

Grinkies! I am SOOO jealous.
rick36

Post by rick36 »

Quite a piece of work. Cool - Thanks...
oyoyobeatle

Post by oyoyobeatle »

You can look inside from the F-hole.
Is there "THE BRACING" ?
I could see it when I saw 1996Re in Japan and i believed that is actual "X-Bracing".
Hofner Rickenbacker Crazy in the Far east Island
krick
Veteran RRF member

Post by krick »

Jonathan stated:

"It is not really "X" bracing. It is one brace that goes diagonally across the body. Maybe it is more like "I" bracing. It starts aft of the soundhole and extends to foward of the control cavity."
After looking inside the control cavity and f hole, I would agree.

oyoyobeatle

Post by oyoyobeatle »

Oh,my...
But great guitar anyway,Kevin!!
Hofner Rickenbacker Crazy in the Far east Island

Post by 36012 »

This how they were braced up until 84. The ones from the 70s and 80s had thicker tops(3/8" approx.)
glen_l

Post by glen_l »

The 1996 looks really nice. With it's correct appointments and afg finish it looks just like the real deal. Those closeups of the roller bridge could easily be mistaken for a real '64 1996

By the way, from what was written on the carton I'd say you have unit #1 of 2 made for Namm
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Nope. This is standard UPS shipment stuff. 1 of two packages sent to a destination.

There was only 1 1996 at NAMM, although there were more than two in the first run.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
glen_l

Post by glen_l »

It's interesting that UPS appear to have taken to opening the outer cartons and marking the inner carton as 1 of 2, hey they even got the model number correct. ;)

It was already established in this thread that the one at Namm wasn't this guitar, but that this guitar does have the marking "Namm" inside the control cavity.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”