Adjusting Hi-Gain Pole Pieces

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

John I'm sure I could figure out a way to make the old and damaged pickup work. If you're willing to part with it for cheap? I like to experiment.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Right now I'm letting the dust settle. Be aware that a fourth of the windings got drilled and there was copper all over.
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Total mayhem!Image
A Rickenbacker bass is much like the Jaguar E car - perennially ultra-fashionable.
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

Yah, but if I was going to rewind it, that wouldn't bother me because it would all come off anyway. I'm sure I could make something out of it. It'd be great to be able to see some pics though. Must have been a bummer when you were drilling it to see stuff flying!
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Honestly, I more than half expected it because the hole on the other end isn't out so far and it looked like it was VERY near the bobbin's winding edge. I figured what the hell and decided to drill, and though I hated to see the copper fly, it didn't bum me out.

What I did on the neck coil to put the 5/16" x 1/2" alnico5 slugs in was hand file that hole to get it out as far as I dared and then rounded the hole to fit the slug. The E side of the coil's magnet is about 1/3 of the way centered under the string, where the G side is just under the edge of the rod. Raised up high they both do equally well. But I see the difference, and that coil is only 7.4k.
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

Well let me know if you're into getting rid of the ruined one. Pics of it would be great, but I'd still probably be interested without pics. Like I said, I like to experiment.
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

Greg, I have an older higain you can have for the cost of shipping, if interested. I drilled it out to 0.250" to test prove the high gains I recently converted. I received this about three years ago from a another forumite that tried cutting off the button heads while in place on the bobbins. The top of the bobbin is marred up. The polepieces are missing and the magnet needs to be reglued. Email me at my profile if interested.
"The best things in life aren't things."
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

Yes I am interested Ken. I'll email you!
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

That's great that this came along, Greg, as I just decided to have Sergio rewind mine.
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

Oh great John, I'm glad it worked out for all concerned! Image

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”