Tricks with Two Truss Rods?

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

chuck_king

Tricks with Two Truss Rods?

Post by chuck_king »

I got a new (to me) 360 yesterday and there is more relief in the neck that I'd like---I prefer necks just about dead flat anyway, and from what I've read it sounds like that's the intended configuration for Ricks.

I'm no stranger to truss rod adjustments but this is my first time with the double rod system. I've read the owners' manual section on it, but I'm just wondering if there are any special tricks or tips, or things to be wary of, relating to the Rick dual rod set-up. I'm sure I can get it dialed in eventually, but I'd like to do it right the first time if I can.
360/6 JG - 650D - Model 59 - TR7
dale_fortune
Intermediate Member

Post by dale_fortune »

One of the biggest problems people have with adjusting Rick T-rods is getting the right tool to do the work. It must be a thin walled deep set 1/4 inch socket to work properly otherwise problems can result in possible fretboard separation or cracking the neck. With guitar tuned to pitch, pull back lightly on the peghead and tighten each rod till the neck is flat. Do this with caution so as not to over tighten and break a rod at the adjustment nut.
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

The only other thing to watch out for is if your guitar was manufactured prior to 1985. If it's 1985 or later, you can adjust the rods normally - like any other guitar. If it is a 1984 or earlier model, there is a special procedure for adjusting the rods to avoid inadvertently popping the fretboard off.
Ka is a wheel.
chuck_king

Post by chuck_king »

No problems there; it's a 2006 model.

Thanks for the input.
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

You may wish to check the online owner's manual again as well. It was significantly revised just today.
jimbunch

Post by jimbunch »

Dale,

I ran into the problem of not have a "thin walled" socket wrench when I adjusted my trust rods. I got it to work but I definitely felt like the walls of the socket were too thick. Where can you get a "thin walled" socket wrench?

Jim
chuck_king

Post by chuck_king »

Well, that was a fortuitously-timed revision!

Everything went smoothly. Only a very minor adjustment did the trick---I was just careful to adjust the rods evenly. (I'm not seeing any sign of twist or anything like that.) The guitar plays almost by thought now.

Also, I had no problem making the adjustment with my standard hardware-store 1/4" nut driver. I've seen bigger clunkier ones that probably would not have fit, but the one I had worked fine. It was plenty deep to get a good grip on the nuts.
j_gary
Intermediate Member

Post by j_gary »

Nice job with the on line owner's manual Mr. H.
It's a big help for those late night "I think I'll adjust all my basses set ups" after a couple of Mountain Dews.

There are only so many commercials I can watch on late night cable television, then my basses start running.
I'm just happy to be here.
dale_fortune
Intermediate Member

Post by dale_fortune »

Jim, try Snap-on-Tools or even Sears. I made mine by taking a regular deepset socket and grinding the outside wall down on a disc sander.
Lost Coyotes
Intermediate Member

Post by Lost Coyotes »

Or, Jim, you could go to your hardware store and get a screwdriver with replaceable tips. The tipholder on these is a narrow 1/4" 6 point socket, and can be deep enough to do the job.

Or you can order a specific tool from the Rickenbacker boutique.
"Why didn't I just learn how to cook"
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

The Sears Craftsman 1/4" nut driver works fine.

Here
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

Xcelite makes a long shaft nutdriver - The L8. They can be ordered from online tool catalogs for about $6.50.
Ka is a wheel.
jimbunch

Post by jimbunch »

Thanks for the suggestions on the thin walled nut drivers.

Jim
xsubs

Post by xsubs »

John,
You've got mail...
Rickenbacker '64 & '68 4001 basses ♦ Fender Pre-CBS J & P Basses and 1968 Telecaster Bass ♦ Moog Taurus III Bass Pedals ♦ Hiwatt (Hylight) Amplification
"A good bassist determines the direction of any band."- Ron Carter
congerz83
Intermediate Member

Post by congerz83 »

What is the procedure for pre-85's?
LET THE WORLD KNOW YOU WANT PAUL TO BRING BACK THE 4001. JOIN OUR FACEBOOK GROUP!! http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=147641915268984

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”