Compressors

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Folkie
Advanced Member

Compressors

Post by Folkie »

I just bought a Boss CS-3 Compressor/Sustainer and have been trying it out with my Rickenbacker 330/12 and Boss GT-3 multi-effects unit. Basically I have the two compressors running at the same time, along with a boost in the high frequency EQ and a little reverb.

I'm still debating whether or not to keep the CS-3, because it nails one very good sound. But that sound just doesn't compare at all to the chime and sparkle of the sound clips on the Janglebox website, regardless of how I set the EQ. And many reviewers on Harmony Central have said the Janglebox is a lot quieter. I'm getting some unruly hum from my CS-3, although that could be a result of the cheap cables I'm using, not to mention other electronic gadgets (like my space heater, TV, and stereo) interfering with the signal. The truth is, my 12-string sounds pretty good running through the patch I've designed on my multi-effects unit without any added compression. The Boss adds a very subtle effect, while the JB2 (if those sound clips are anything to go by) adds a more dramatic one. I have 30 days to return the CS-3, so there's no rush. But our only local store that carries the Janglebox is out of stock and won't have another one for six weeks!

I would love to hear any input from other players out there. Incidentally, I tried out the MXR Dynacomp and the Keeley and was not at all impressed with either.

Robert
jimk
RRF Consultant

Re: Compressors

Post by jimk »

I'm a little surprised by your estimation of the MXR Dynacomp, and the Keeley. I have been very happy with my JB1. And if I were playing out regularly with my Rick, I'd look very seriously about purchasing a JB2.
JimK
Clint
Intermediate Member

Post by Clint »

I've gotten to the point where I don't use compressors live at all (I'm looking for all the dynamics I can get). But when I did use them, the Boss CS-3 was the most versatile. It can go from subtle to more squish & squash than you'll ever be able to use. The tone control is a handy feature, but I can't say it makes a dramatic difference. Never used a JB so I can't comment on that.

I don't know if you should listen to me though, my favorite compressor is the Danelectro Surf & Turf.
Jangle, Chime & Twang.
tony_carey
Advanced Member

Post by tony_carey »

I have used the Boss comp in the past & found it pretty versatile, but I agree that the harder the compression, the duller the sound. This is common in vca compressors & less of a problem with optical compressors (Joe Meek etc). The hum is almost certainly coming from elsewhere, as Boss footpedals are very quiet in my experience. But a compressor does exactly that...lifts quiet & subdues loud, (unlike a limiter, which merely tackles the peaks) which means that any hums in your system will be duly lifted. I would say though that compressors of every type need very careful setting up, they are not that easy to get right, but with due care, you ought to be able to get a great sound on the Boss. Sometimes less is more & this is certainly true of compression on guitars. Vocals & Bass can take shed loads of compression, but with gtrs, it's softly softly.....hope this helps.
Rickygirl

Post by Rickygirl »

I have the Boss CS-3. A colleague offered it to me for £25 when I mentioned I was looking for one. I seriously regret it as I don't like the sound of it compared to the Digitech which I was on the verge of ordering before this one came up. I was being a skin flint and had this one, thinking it would be just as good, as it was a Boss. Nah, I made a mistake.

When I tested a few out, I found the Digitech to be versatile and the sound seemed sweeter somehow, but the Boss, no matter what I did to it, it sounded lifeless and I thought it was nothing like as versatile as the Digitech. Just my two penny's worth. :)

I do have a jangle box on loan and I like the sound of that, but I don't use it enought to justify that cost (if this one went back to its owner) and I have yet to use a pedal live, I just mess about at home. The only time I ever set up my delay at a live gig, I was so nervous I forgot to switch it on!! :oops: :lol:

To add insult to injury, I never got my £5 change back........

Anyone want a Boss CS-3 compression/sustain?? I might get the Digitech then.
"You can't separate Sarah from her RickenBACKers"

http://www.myspace.com/transientfew
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

I have both a JB and a CS-3 on my pedal board. (Since I already had the CS-3 when I got the JB).
I use the JB for the chime and jangle and vintage sounds.
I have the JB first in the pedal board line-up sequence, after the Wah pedal.... and before the Distortion pedal.

I keep the CS-3 around to use it more for a Volume-effect than for Compression effect. (Hey some folks have two or three Distortion or Overdrive pedals, too). I keep the CS-3 after the Distortion pedal in the line-up sequence .. so there are options for both Distortion sound using the DS pedal alone or vamping it up, (with the CS-3 being after the DS in the pedal board sequence), and using them both together.

I generally never use any other effect with the JB pedal - as its generally all you need on the types of songs that it is used for.

Usually, I have seen many folks write-up good things about the Keeley Compressor.

Gosh, there are so many threads on "Compressors" on several different boards here on the RRF that maybe they all ought to be condensed into their own Compressor board....
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

I didn't see any of those other posts on compressors. Can you direct me to any of them?
blueflamerick
Advanced Member

Post by blueflamerick »

A search on "compressors" found this:

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=391262&start=45&hilit=compressor
indianation65

Post by indianation65 »

Here is an old-style compressor that I "found" in my junk/extra gear bag. I believe an old buddy gave it to me many years ago, because he didn't want it. It has a nice circular sound to it with a bit of "phase." I don't know his name but the red-headed cat from Phish uses this; Trey I believe? I've never been a jam-band fan so I never detailed.

...wisdom

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/revi ... essor/10/1
The Harmony reviews may be newer pedals mixed in with the older ones...
Indian Folklore and Wisdom—Love, Learn, Listen
eatswodo
Veteran RRF member

Post by eatswodo »

I may be dreaming, but I seem to recall that the Ross Compressor was one of those unsung hero/holy grail kind of pedals, like the Arion Stereo Chorus...
IHeartRics

Post by IHeartRics »

indianation66 wrote:Here is an old-style compressor that I "found" in my junk/extra gear bag. I believe an old buddy gave it to me many years ago, because he didn't want it. It has a nice circular sound to it with a bit of "phase." I don't know his name but the red-headed cat from Phish uses this; Trey I believe? I've never been a jam-band fan so I never detailed.

...wisdom

Funny, I have one of those too and I got it under the same circumstances. A friend didn't want it anymore and gave it to me. I usually don't use a compressor live but sometimes at home I goof around with it with my 330/12. It's pretty good. And I think its decently regarded.
Expect nothing and you'll never be disappointed (and I mean that in an optimistic way).
http://www.reverbnation.com/thelowlies
http://www.myspace.com/thelowlies
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

Compressors seem to be as subjective, or even more so sometimes, than overdrive/distortion boxes. The best advice I can give you is to let your ears do the deciding, as they all sound different, and will affect your personal sound differently. Personally, I have never gotten a sound I liked out of a Boss compressor, but many here have, so it's really up to what works best for you. Sorry, wish I had a better answer.
Janglyman

Post by Janglyman »

I've used the Boss on gigs with good results. You can set it and forget it. It's easy, convenient and fits in my (crummy) pedal board. The audience recognizes "that Byrds sound." I find that I like the JB for home or studio playing.The JB works better with toasters, IMHO, with a good gain boost, giving good jangle. I have not noticed this with hi-gains as much. The JB is quieter, but I've only used it at low volume.

I've also used a Dynacomp live. It's good, but it is noisy.
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

This Marshall ED-1 compressor was gifted to me by a generous soul, and I've been very impressed and pleased with it. It's quiet and gives good creamy sustain at low or high gain settings with my live setup. It's the one pedal in my train that is always in use.

All I wanna do is rock!
Ric-O-Buc

Post by Ric-O-Buc »

I love the compressor thread!

Had the original gray Ross pedal.... Good overall boost - colors the tone,

Had the Boss blue pedal - good overall, versatile, fairly transparent, quiet,,,,

Have the Keeley now - great clean boost, a bit noisy.....

this one intrigues...

http://www.farndurk.com/index.php?page=blog

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”