Recent Acquisition (New-To-Me Fretless Content)

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Low End Lover

Re: Recent Acquisition (New-To-Me Fretless Content)

Post by Low End Lover »

Cassius,

Just found out about this site. I have heard you talk about the 4001FL, but hadn't see it yet. Very nice at a great price!

LEL
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

Toasters installed now, sounds really great. Just gotta fix a wire that came loose between the two jacks apparently, because mono isn't "seeing" the bridge pickup.

The neck + mid blend is probably my favorite sound so far. It's wired VVVT.
FretlessOnly
Advanced Member

Post by FretlessOnly »

Yeah, I need to play that one! I rather like the idea of a master tone, as I generally run tone full out on both pickups. That looks really cool as well. Fine job.
Can we have everything louder than everything else?
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

+1! 8)

Looks great! It would be fun to play and see how it sounds. You'll have to record a few tracks so we can all hear it! :D
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

+2!
I have got to hear this FL, maybe even play it someday! 8)
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

cjj wrote:You'll have to record a few tracks so we can all hear it! :D
I will, and I will try not to let my crippling perfectionism and procrastination stop me! Hey Joey, remember when I said I was going to re-record that FL demo for your site because the impedance was not set right the first time around? How long ago was that? It's going to be a bit of a challenge showcasing the 7 different discrete configurations of the bass. That's without ever touching the tone knob, and "continuous" as opposed to discrete would be including blends where you attenuate the volume on some of the pickups in addition to the discrete settings. Any suggestions for a good song--say a jazz tune--that would cover all four strings that I could use to compare tones? I'm thinking "Night In Tunisia" or "Nardis" right now (melodies and bass licks).

The mid+neck blend is really cool. The neck pickup is pure bass warmth now, and really overpowers the other two in discrete (no attenuation) blending. The mid pickup sounds like the bridge pickup and the Jazz Bass neck pickup had a baby and called it "Mr. Punchy". Having RWRP is also nice.

I've got to get the bass set up again, although the neck is *still* dead flat! I even put my beloved Fender 9050Ls on it (my ears are telling me this was the perfect thing to do with this bass) and the neck has not changed. However I need to get the intonation set, as well as pickup height.

To anyone who wants to play it some day, I'd be delighted for that to happen. Either drop me a line when you're in Denver or I'll do the same when I'm in your neck of the woods...
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

On a whim I strung this bass up with Circle K rounds and took it to practice. I think I've got a new Number One. Absolutely amazing. I will not lie, the addition of the mid-pickup added volumes of awesome to the timbre. The slightly thinner (side-to-side) neck and the fact that it is perfectly set up (dead straight, and I do mean *dead* straight) made it so easy to play and the combination of the middle and bridge pickups was perfect for my band.

I will try to post recordings from our show on the 31st--someone is supposed to record us off of the mixing board.
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

cassius987 wrote:
cjj wrote:You'll have to record a few tracks so we can all hear it! :D
Hey Joey, remember when I said I was going to re-record that FL demo for your site because the impedance was not set right the first time around? How long ago was that?

To anyone who wants to play it some day, I'd be delighted for that to happen. Either drop me a line when you're in Denver or I'll do the same when I'm in your neck of the woods...
Yeah, that was a lonnnnnnng time ago!
Just send it to me. I'll give it a whirl and hear it! :mrgreen: 8)
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”