Rickenbacker and bigsby

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

DriftSpace

Re: Rickenbacker and bigsby

Post by DriftSpace »

sloop_john_b wrote:
pocaloc wrote:Maybe I'll pick up a Squire Jazzmaster for my trem arm needs.
You should do this regardless. The Squier J. Mascis Jazzmaster is an unbelievable guitar, not even taking into consideration the price point. Much better than every AVRI I ever had and even my '68. 8)
Squiers have taken a giant leap in quality over the last few years; I teach at a music school where kids show up with Squiers all the time, and some of them are nearly as good as many American, Mexican, and Japanese Fenders I've played in the last 20 years. One kid has a double-bound sunburst Telecaster Squier, and it not only looks gorgeous, but sounds awesome. The AVRI guitars have always been a rip-off, I think; the Japanese models are at least as good & have better finish options, and the Mexican "Modern Player" guitars improve on a lot of the original design quirks.

I have the original (purple) J. Mascis signature model, and it caused me to sell several of my other guitars, including some American Fenders; it is also awesome.
rickenbiggs

Post by rickenbiggs »

I just registered my 481 w/Bigsby, it was already mounted when I got it umpteen years ago, the original tailpeice holes were filled in. The Bigsby/slant fret combo has taken it's toll on the original(?) bridge saddles, which I will post close-ups in a new post elsewhere this forum. Don't play it as much nowadays, In fact after all these years,I just now got a good look at the saddles!..However in the 1980's I played the heck out of it, using Super slinkys, and It was always "fussy" with tuning, but still plays beautifully!, (the bridge actually "rocks" back and fourth on the 4 hieght adjustment screws when using Bigsby!). But I wouldn't hesitate to bring to jam or record with!, just maybe with some less-slinky and well worn-in strings. Now days being so rare and precious to me,It mainly stays in the case :D
IHeartRics

Post by IHeartRics »

rickenbiggs wrote:..However in the 1980's I played the heck out of it, using Super slinkys, and It was always "fussy" with tuning, but still plays beautifully!, (the bridge actually "rocks" back and fourth on the 4 hieght adjustment screws when using Bigsby!).
As I mentioned in my earlier post, the roller bridge from Winfield Vintage keeps mine in tune (never fussy) and no bridge rocking. They made mine custom for the flat radius on the 480, maybe they can do something for the slanted bridge.
Expect nothing and you'll never be disappointed (and I mean that in an optimistic way).
http://www.reverbnation.com/thelowlies
http://www.myspace.com/thelowlies

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”