Pseudo C64?

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

inasneman9876

Pseudo C64?

Post by inasneman9876 »

So this is my first post on this forum, and I have a short story to tell everyone and would like to get some advice. My dad is the bass player of the family, and has always had his eye on a Rickenbacker. Though, he could never really afford it. I want to surprise him for his 60th birthday with one. He's a huge McCartney fan, so I'd have loved to get a 4001C64, but now that they're discontinued, and rare to find for sale, I'm having to look at other options. I was thinking of getting either a regular 4003, a 4003s, or I've had this crazy idea of getting a 4003s, and putting C64 Horseshoe and Toaster pickups in it, which I can still find around despite them not being in the Ric Boutique anymore. I figure this would be as close to a C64 as you could get tone-wise. Obviously there will be some differences like the non-reversed headstock, and more modern knobs and tuners, but do you guys think it would be a worthwhile endeavor? Or should I just go with a stock 4003/4003s?
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: Pseudo C64?

Post by jdogric12 »

Your best bet might be the $1900 V63 on ebay right now.
rickaddict

Post by rickaddict »

Hey Ross! Welcome to the forum. That's a very nice idea for a gift. Jdog's idea of the 4001v63 on ebay is a good one, but that one is a little...used. How close to new looking do you want this bass to be? How much time do you have before your father's birthday? Ebay can be a great resource to find rare stuff, and usually will have at least one 4001C64 or C64S listed. I'm surprised to see that there are none right now, but I'm sure one will show up soon. Do you think your father would prefer a Fireglo C64 or the "sanded" version...the C64S? And how much do you plan to spend?

Since your dad is all about PM, I'd say to get a 4003S, a 4001V63, a 4001C64, or a 4001C64S. While the 4003 is a great bass and would get close to the tone, it has the binding and triangle inlays that make it look different from PM's Rick. Plus, I think a 4003S is about the same price, maybe even less than a 4003.
Peterbuilt

Post by Peterbuilt »

What a great idea! There is a 4001C64 in Fireglo for sale on Talkbass right now in the classified section for a reasonable price.
Gear: #greenmachines
- Peterbuilt Basses / RickenbackerFarm (dealer) -
inasneman9876

Post by inasneman9876 »

Thanks for the input guys! Price isn't too much of an object to me, and his birthday isn't until December, so I've got some time to weigh all my options and shop around, but I did want to get him something new however, as he's had bad experiences with used instruments in the past. I notice there's a guy on eBay selling an unplayed 325c58 and he claims to also have an unplayed 4001c64, but he wants $5500 for the 325, and I'm imaging the price would be similar for the 4001. Since I could almost buy 3 4003's for that price, I don't think that's really be the best use of my money though. My dad's prized bass right now is his '78 Music Man Stingray, and since that has an unbound, contoured body, I feel like he'd be more more comfortable with the 4003s. Also it occurs to me that the 4003's have that vintage push/pull knob. Does that make the hi-gain pickups sound closer to old horseshoe and toaster pickups, or is it a different kind of vintage sound? I only ask to know if it would be worth putting the vintage spec pickups into the 4003S for him, or if he could get a McCartney sound out of the hi-gain pickups with the vintage effect enabled.
inasneman9876

Post by inasneman9876 »

Peterbuilt wrote:What a great idea! There is a 4001C64 in Fireglo for sale on Talkbass right now in the classified section for a reasonable price.
Took a look at that one, I'm pretty impressed. I may have to get some more info. If I had to settle on a used one, that'd be perfect.
rickaddict

Post by rickaddict »

I give you my thumbs up on the Talkbass Rick! The price is about right too. Go for it if it seems right, but if it's already sold or doesn't work out, you should be able to find the same bass for the same price on ebay between now and December.

About the push/pull: What it does is activate a bass-cutting capacitor that is wired into the bridge pickup circuit. All 4001's, and then 4003's had the cap in the circuit from the beginning of the 4001 until about 1985. Some people like the cap, some don't. The high gain pickups on the 4003S and 4003 do have a slightly different tone compared to the vintage re-issue horseshoe and toaster. Some say the high gains are a little more growly and have higher output.

The C64 on Talkbass (unless it's been modified) will have the bass-cut capacitor in the circuit and will not have a push-pull pot. You can modify the wiring harness to put a push-pull pot in it if you'd like or you could easily bypass the bass cut capacitor permanently (but it's easily reversible!) if it's not your thing.

I personally don't care for the bass-cut capacitor, so I bypass it on all of my Ricks that came with one.

8)
inasneman9876

Post by inasneman9876 »

Well I messaged the gent on TalkBass about it. I notice an MG one just popped up on Reverb for $2500, which is supposedly unplayed, so I'll keep an eye on that one too. I'd prefer it in FG just because that's how Macca's originally was before he modded it to hell and back, but beggars can't be choosers for an out of production bass.
seabass

Post by seabass »

Actually there are 4 on Reverb; 3 Mapleglo and 1 Fireglo (the same Fireglo is also on e-bay).
inasneman9876

Post by inasneman9876 »

seabass wrote:Actually there are 4 on Reverb; 3 Mapleglo and 1 Fireglo (the same Fireglo is also on e-bay).
Well the other ones are the older V63 model. Is there a difference in rarity or desirability between the two? Doesn't the V63 just have a non-reversed headstock?
rickaddict

Post by rickaddict »

There isn't much difference, Ross. And it depends on the year of V63. The early V63's (before 1997?) had a couple features that more closely resembled the original RM1999: The headstock shape was more like those from the 60's and the pickup surround too. Plus, the necks tended to get a bit fatter in the 1990's. My 1992 v63 has a small neck, my 1998 v63 was substantially larger. The C64 has the nickel plated reverse tuners and is generally a bit closer in appearance to the originals, except for the upside-down headstock. Some people hate that upside-down headstock, but I love mine. If it is a Macca look alike you're after, then the upside down headstock makes sense. Tone-wise, the C64's had the bass-cut capacitor while the v63's did not (again... it's not that hard to put one in or take it out yourself) so I'd say that a stock C64 would get you closer to Macca.

There is no substantial difference in rarity or desirability, but if you're a stickler for smaller necks (or your dad is) then an early V63 (pre 1993 it seems) would be a good choice.
bugman

Post by bugman »

Here is a 4001C64S I just came across on a craigslist search. I had one when they first came out,sold it and regretted it soon after. I had a chance to get another one awhile back (its the one that is in Paul's Rickenbacker Bass Book) and really like this bass a lot.
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/msg/5546419173.html
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

bugman wrote:Here is a 4001C64S I just came across on a craigslist search. I had one when they first came out,sold it and regretted it soon after. I had a chance to get another one awhile back (its the one that is in Paul's Rickenbacker Bass Book) and really like this bass a lot.
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/msg/5546419173.html
Hmm. The one in the book was mine. I sold it to David DeShazo. Did you buy it from him?
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
bugman

Post by bugman »

Yea, awhile back it was on talkabass and you contacted him for me as I wasn't a member on talkbass He sold it to me and its my only RIC at this time Great bass
inasneman9876

Post by inasneman9876 »

Well, after weighing all my options, and talking to the seller on TalkBass, I've decided to go all out and get that 4001C64. The guy came down to $2200, and I'll be shipping him the check within the next day or two :D :D :D Already picturing the look on my Dad's face, even if he is gonna get it about 8 months early.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”