4003S -Blackstar - Refret and Bridge V2

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

bassmekanik

4003S -Blackstar - Refret and Bridge V2

Post by bassmekanik »

So, Ive talked about it for a few years now and always wanted to get my Blackstar refretted - the wear was pretty severe - but I wanted to wait until I had decided upon a replacement bridge as it was suffering from a reasonable bit of tail lift.

Original Bridge
Blackstar bridge.jpg
Tail lift
Blackstar Tail lift.jpg
I finally bit the bullet and purchased a Rick V2 bridge, but these are only available in a chrome finish... Fortunately my neighbour runs an alloy wheel refurb business so he was able to key the chrome finish and powder coat the bridge in satin black.

V2 Bridge in black
Rick bridge V2.jpg

I'd had good reports about Jimmy Egypts guitar shop in Glasgow, Scotland, and the quality of the work they carry out, so I took the bridge and bass down to them to be installed and carry out the full refret i`d always wanted. There was an offer to clean up some of the wear on it but I wanted it left as it is. This bass had been heavily used before I bought it and in the 15 years or so ive owned it its been my main instrument (until the last few years when its been my 4003AC), and I quite like the worn look it has, especially down either side of the fretboard. I got the bass back yesterday (and the old bridge and pieces to be kept in a safe place!).

Pictures below of the bass with the new bridge and fret work. I am extremely happy with the finished result. It plays fantastically and I doubt most people (outside of Rick enthusiasts) would even be able to tell the difference between the bridges. If anyone in the UK is thinking of having any work done I can highly recommend Jimmy Egypts in Glasgow. Superb quality and a pretty quick turnaround too (didnt break the bank either, which is also nice).

V2 bridge installed
Blackstar new bridge.jpg
None more black!
Blackstar1.jpg
New frets
Blackstar fretboard.jpg

The wear on the finish at the sides are from years of playing and not due to any of the refret work carried out.

As a side note, if anyone is thinking of having a V2 bridge finished in a different colour, my neighbour said that it wasnt a difficult job to do, but he wouldnt have wanted to do multiple attempts to powder coat it as getting a smooth finish would be hard after the first attempt or two. He took 2 tries to get a nice smooth finish on the piece and would have been reluctant to do a third if it hadnt finished nicely the second time (first time out it had a couple of small runs in obvoius places he wasnt happy with).
berth
RRF Consultant

Re: 4003S -Blackstar - Refret and Bridge V2

Post by berth »

Nice! :-)
68 4001|73 4001 MG|75 4000 MG|79 4001 JG FL|81 4001S AZG|86 4003 MID/BT|86 4003 Shadow|88 4003s Blackstar|89 4003 Grey/BT FL|93 4004 Ci|96 4003S/8 FG|98 4003S/5 JG|05 650D|05 4004Cii/5 TG|08 660/12 JG|18 4003S/5 MID|19 4003S/5 WAL ||TR35B|RB 30||
teeder

Post by teeder »

berth wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:42 pmNice! :-)
+1!
ram

Post by ram »

Very nice. I think the bridge came out looking good! Thanks for sharing!
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
WillyWonka

Post by WillyWonka »

take care of the ones you love
scotty

Post by scotty »

Great stuff!
Jim is a personal friend of mine and has done lots of work on my rics also.
Nice Job.
bassmekanik

Post by bassmekanik »

scotty wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:36 pm Great stuff!
Jim is a personal friend of mine and has done lots of work on my rics also.
Nice Job.
Thats great. Well, you can pass on to him that im extremely happy. :)

I`ll prob drop him a message in a week or so once ive had plenty time to play it. First jam with it tomorrow after not using it for a very long time. Going to be nice to have that option again.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”