Melbourne Mini-Confluence

Planning or looking for a Rickenbacker conference? Start here.

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

winston
Membership Admin

Re: Melbourne Mini-Confluence

Post by winston »

I am looking forward to being there soon myself. That Capri is stunning and AFG 330 is amazing looking. Slide bass eh Darren? That sounds like a neat idea. All Along the Watchtower is a great tune. We'll have to have see if we can work up a bit of a jam around that song.

Good friends, good cheer, good grog and a great host. You could not have asked for a more perfect day.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

Very cool, you guys look like you were having a great time! Thanks for the pics.
Hmmm, why does that Midnight Blue 330 as well as that P-Bass look so familiar?! :wink:

That blonde sure does get around!!
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
gregga41
RRF Consultant

Post by gregga41 »

Thanks go to the Trott family for hosting another enjoyable get-together! It's always good catching up with Aitch. Ron and Shane,...Trotty as well! Shane's 330 AFG would have to be the most brilliant finish i've ever seen, it's truly an amazing looking piece of work!
Discussions concerning Brian Medway's up-coming oz-tour,and also 2010,had the cogs turning.....so Mr. Medway ,as Dave Pascoe and Alisha Tremaine before you can testify, you'll have a great time!
Hey Joey, i think Shane has rekindled his 12-string yearnings after playing "our" 330/12!
Great pictures Aitch!
In regards to the 360 swap......we'll check serial numbers each time we meet! :wink:
longboard_ric
Intermediate Member

Post by longboard_ric »

I haven't had a lot of experience with 12 strings but I found my 360/12 difficult to play, so much so that it sits in its case and is rarely touched.Greggs 330/12 on the other hand is just so playable: a brilliant guitar. Joey, or any of you experienced 12 string players,if you have any info about the setup or suggestions, string gauges and types etc I would appreciate it.

Also, strangely enough, Hendrix's Woodstock performance was broadcast on TV on Saturday night. Could this have inspired our Darren for his effort on Sunday ???? We should have had the video out !!!!

Brian, I am looking forward to meeting you. I am told you are more than anxious to get here, but be patient: at our age time is passing by quickly enough as it is !!! :D
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

Unfortunately Shane, my only experience playing 12 string guitars is when I had baby sat Greg's 30/12 for a couple of weeks and the 360/12 Amber Fireglo that I recently played in a local music shop. You wouldn't want to hear me play a 12 string!! I'd need a lot of practce first. I'm lousy enough on a 6 string!! :lol:
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Hey Aitch, good pictures !
Looks like you guys had another spendid get-together down under !
Regards - Rich F.
"What we've got is Blind Faith in each other" Steve Winwood, Newsweek July 28 1969

10 4003 FG
06 WB BRG
04 660-12 JG
03 360-12 FG
99 V64 six FG
96 650-A TQ
94 V64-12 JG
81 370-WB JG
73 480 DaphBlue
61 Cons Steel MG
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Hi Greg,

I have it on really good authority (Aitch) just how well the gang treats your visitors and guests. I am really looking forward to this trip for a variety of reasons.

Shane, I am looking forward to meeting you too and yes you have it right, My wife and I just can't wait to board that plane to Australia. It's tough to have patience when you are off to meet up with a good friend that you have not seen for over a year.

I'll be catching up with you all real soon. Meanwhile I'd better get back to practising some songs so I can at least attempt to keep up somewhat with Aitch.

:)
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

Hi Rich - nice to hear from you!

Yes, these get-togethers are always fun and this time we leant more toward the musical side of things rather than just eating, drinking and gas-bagging. Darren and I experimented with a song that requires some pretty fancy drumming and we hope to have a full crack at it at the December 'MedwayJam'. Poor old Trotty had worked up one heck of a sweat after only a couple of minutes!

You won't have any trouble keeping up with me, Brian..... I'm slowing down on a daily basis!! :D
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Looks like you guys had one great time. Makes us all lonesome.......
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

You need to find a way to get here before '10, John!! :D
longboard_ric
Intermediate Member

Post by longboard_ric »

Thanks Joey, I'll try and find a local luthier who knows what he is doing. There was a local guy who for many years did all the international touring bands stuff. I remember he did a fantastic job on Gibson 67 SG Custom for me about 20 years ago. I think he has probably retired now but I heard his son has taken over; I'll have to go to the local music store and ask a few questions.

Sounds like your 12 string ability is considerably more advanced than by bass playing ability, but after Sunday at Darrens I am interested in learning a bit more. How can I explain the purchase of a bass to my wife......all suggestions are welcome :D
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

Tell her it's an 'investment', Shane...... that's what I keep telling myself! :mrgreen:

BTW...... Brian's a pretty dab hand at setting guitars up so he may be able to assist but only after he's had a go at 15 or 20 of mine, OK???? :lol:
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Aitch, I'm buying lottery tickets as it is! :lol:

Shane, tell her it's that much less beer you can buy! :wink:
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Shane,

After I arrive, make arrangements to bring the 12 over to Aitches place along with some suitable throat lubricant (for Aitch of course) and it will be fixed up in no time flat.

The hardest part for me will be parting with it after I have made it sound sweet. LOL

Aitch you are a slave driver. I figured this was gonna be a busmans holiday.

ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

Oh I don't know, Brian...... I figure you could knock over 5 or 6 a day so that would only take up the first 3 or 4 days of your visit..... hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!! :lol:

No, I will make no such demands on your time. My suggested arrangement is: If you pick up and play any of my guitars or the 4003 bass and you're not happy with the setup it will be your decision as to whether you work on it or not.... just ignore my pleas at the time, OK??? :mrgreen:

Given that we are going down to the beach house at Sorrento for a few days at some stage during your stay it might be easier for Shane to come down there.... it's a heck of a lot closer than my home!!

How would you be fixed for a daytime visit, Shane? Let me know what you'd like to do and if Sorrento is a more suitable option then I'll email you the dates as soon as they are finalised.

Return to “Rickenbacker Conferences and Confluences”