RRF Consultant

Re: Peavey Buying Gibson?

Post by ozover50 »

Wow..... some pretty damning stuff there on glassdoor! :shock:
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

I think Peavey would be doing a better job of it, truly. But that's just me. We're all backseat drivers/Monday morning quarterbacks here, although some of us have the benefit of being deep in the American music industry already (so those folks will certainly have some insight that others wouldn't). I really don't like company-bashing (because I have seen it done brutally and unfairly to RIC quite a few times, among other reasons), but yeah, I will admit that I think Peavey would be a step up for the Gibson brand. I don't know if I would have said that even a few years ago.
eatswodo
Veteran RRF member

Post by eatswodo »

At least a Peavey acquisition would ensure that it remains a US company... it would seem that this rumour has been around for a few months.
oldfclefer

Post by oldfclefer »

It's the first I've heard of it.

About 2 years ago, the manager at my favorite music store told me they'd dropped Gibson because they were asking $250k per store to grant a franchise.

They've bought up a bunch of brands like Kramer and Steinberger too.

I don't think that's worked out too well for them.
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

I heard from a couple friends who were at NAMM that the idea of Peavey buying Gibson isn't just a rumor, though I heard that Peavey would be after the solid body areas of Gibson and the Nashville stuff in particular. I guess we'll know more once it actually happens if it does.

greg
danbind

Post by danbind »

I just don't see Slash switching to a T-60...

...anybody remember the "WHY?" advertisement, circa 1980, for this guitar? It showed a Strat, T-60, and LP, side by side, full page, with MSRPs underneath. I think the Strat & LP were around $600, and the Peavey was ~$250.

Return to “News At 11”