Peavey Buying Gibson?

News, weather & sports

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

admin
Site Admin

Peavey Buying Gibson?

Post by admin »

I have been reading several sources online that Hartley Peavey is making Gibson an offer. I would not have guess that Peavey would purchase Gibson. What do you think the odds are?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Peavey Buying Gibson?

Post by jps »

Going by the minimal presence of Gibson at NAMM I wouldn't be surprised. :roll: :lol:
Danotron
Intermediate Member

Post by Danotron »

Should we run out and start collecting our "pre-Peavey" Gibsons? :lol:

Actually, I've been hearing rumblings about Gibson being in some trouble for about a year. I would be surprised if this happened but not shocked. I didn't figure on Peavey though, I would have bet on Fender.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Danotron wrote:I would have bet on Fender.
Why, because of that limited edition Gibson Jimi Hendrix Strat? :lol:
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Oh good. Maybe I can put Gibson logo's on my Peavey amps....................NOT! :mrgreen:
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
Danotron
Intermediate Member

Post by Danotron »

jps wrote:
Danotron wrote:I would have bet on Fender.
Why, because of that limited edition Gibson Jimi Hendrix Strat? :lol:
They have been doing some odd things lately. That's certainly one of them.
collin

Post by collin »

Danotron wrote:Should we run out and start collecting our "pre-Peavey" Gibsons? :lol:
Or trade the "pre-Peaveys" in. For once, I'm not afraid of change......when you hit rock bottom, you have nowhere to go but up. :)
lennon211
Intermediate Member

Post by lennon211 »

If only Gibson had focused on what everyone wanted: great modern versions of their classics and high quality, but still affordable reissues of their great gutiars of the past, maybe they wouldn't be where they are. Also, they shouldn't have gutted their dealer network and produced so many oddball iterations of their guitars with finishes that no one would really want.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda...maybe sold.
Clint
Intermediate Member

Post by Clint »

I hope it happens. I would rather buy a J-45 from Hartley than Henry.

Someday....someday.
Jangle, Chime & Twang.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

lennon211 wrote:If only Gibson had focused on what everyone wanted: great modern versions of their classics and high quality, but still affordable reissues of their great gutiars of the past, maybe they wouldn't be where they are.
Like RIC. 8)
Scastles

Post by Scastles »

Gibson has had major financial problems, and other problems. I can't recall if it was here or somewhere else that I read they were at one point being investigated by the Feds for importing illegal woods.

Also, not long ago, IIRC, they were advertising on Hotjobs for someone to head up their Nashville branch.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Music is too important to be left to professionals.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Gibson has been in some difficulty since HJ assumed the CEO reins. Except, in his case, it's "reigns", as in "royal", or possibly, "dictator".

Check out this link, from glassdoor.com, a website where company employees rate their management:

http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Gibson ... -E6869.htm

The rumor at NAMM was that Gibson wasn't there because there was no money to spend; the banks had frozen their lines of credit until top management stepped down.

Yes, they're in trouble--SERIOUS trouble.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Peavey has already resurrected one former Gibson holding, Trace Elliot. Why not Gibson, itself? :!:
eatswodo
Veteran RRF member

Post by eatswodo »

Got the latest issue of Premier Guitar yesterday. This was to have contained the first of a new series, "Go Ahead and Ask", which would feature readers' questions to a different gear manufacturer or artist each month.

This month, it was meant to be Henry Juszkiewicz - but, instead "we've decided to give him a little more time to respond to your questions"...
lennon211
Intermediate Member

Post by lennon211 »

jps wrote:
lennon211 wrote:If only Gibson had focused on what everyone wanted: great modern versions of their classics and high quality, but still affordable reissues of their great gutiars of the past, maybe they wouldn't be where they are.
Like RIC. 8)
I just don't understand how they justify upcharging a couple thousand just for slapping a nickle Maestro vibrato onto an SG. It's truly amazing how they do such things and justify it. They get what they deserve and I hope that whoever it falls to will get it back to what it could be if they capitalized on their potential.

Return to “News At 11”