Post by jimk »

What's a "u" voicing?
JimK
Zurdo

Re: New Byrds cover - Goin' Back

Post by Zurdo »

jimk wrote:What's a "u" voicing?
JimK
Jim, I don't know the technical word for it but if you put different fuzz/distortion units on a Scope, they produce different "waves", like Sine or Square or Ragged, stuff like that.

The fuzz units with a Sine or "rounded" wave as seen in a scope, have a smooth sound that produces a "u" voicing, as in the sound of a "u" letter, or also expressed as "oooohhhh".

For example,
the sound of the guitar fuzz in Notorious Byrd Brothers' "Change is Now", has a "u" voice. (very smooth),
the sound of the guitar fuzz in Cream's "Sunshine of your Love" (Eric Clapton), has a "u" voice. (ditto).

But the sound of the guitar fuzz in The Rolling Stones' "Satisfaction", has a Square wave. (very harsh).

Vox amps of the 1960's have this built-in smooth Sine Fuzz, which later was sold as a separate Vox effect.
Not sure if it was called Dallas Arbiter, or Vox Fuzz Face. (they both sound identical).

hope this helps you pick-a-fuzz. Hint: MXR Distortion pedals produce a Square wave.
Rickenbacker 370-12 1966, Hofner 500/1 1966, Gibson ES-150 DCW 1970,
Vox Viscount 1967, Vox Series 90 1969. Yamaha PSR-9000 Midi Sequencer Arranger 2000
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

OK...that's pretty clear. I like the sounds of the Change Is Now/Sunshine of Your Love best of all.
JimK
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

jimk wrote:What's a "u" voicing?
JimK
I can't read this without thinking of Chico Marx....
Is that like, "Whatts a matta u?".
Different subject, I posted a new Statler Brothers cover today. Fun song. No Ricks (or electric guitars, for that matter) were used, so between being country and no Ricks, there's probably a really small audience for this one. Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
pehayes2

Post by pehayes2 »

Tom not so. The audience for your songs grow! Very nice recording of I'll Go To My Grave Loving You. I'm always amazed at the quality of your recordings and the vocal arrangements.
0018g

Post by 0018g »

Just discovered your site-way cool. I mess around doing covers myself, for my own amusement. It's a lot of fun. Pretty amazing what can be done with computers now, that would have cost thousands in equipment a few short years ago.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Sounds way cool! We'll have to volunteer you to do some more lead vocals at the jams. . . in addition to the instrumental work! :D
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

0018g wrote:....Pretty amazing what can be done with computers now, that would have cost thousands in equipment a few short years ago.
Ain't that the truth! :shock: :D
JimK

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”