New Byrds cover - Goin' Back

Those who flock to The Byrds
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

Hi, I just posted a new cover of "Goin' Back" on my music website http://www.beatbyrd.com . It's the last song (bottom) on the Byrds page. I contacted David Crosby and asked him to help me out, but he refused to play on it. Said something about it being a big step backward for me. Actually, I was kinda hoping for some help from Sneaky Pete. As always, constructive comments are welcome. Oh, and yes, there was a JangleBox 2 used on the song. Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
rickinroma
RRF Consultant

Re: New Byrds cover - Goin' Back

Post by rickinroma »

Tom, your covers are amazing
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Tom: Outstanding work and thanks for going back.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

....and your cover of "You Were On My Mind" brought a big grin to my face. I've always loved that song.
JimK
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

rickinroma wrote: Tom, your covers are amazing
admin wrote:Tom: Outstanding work and thanks for going back.
Yeah, and you should have seen him, singing live, doing the Gene Clark parts, on Saturday at SCARF Ricktoberfest, when Tom, Skip and Jake joined in with 3/5 of The Byrds Collective and performed a few old favorite Byrds tunes for us ! Great job, Tom !
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

8mileshigher wrote:
rickinroma wrote: Tom, your covers are amazing
admin wrote:Tom: Outstanding work and thanks for going back.
Yeah, and you should have seen him, singing live, doing the Gene Clark parts, on Saturday at SCARF Ricktoberfest, when Tom, Skip and Jake joined in with 3/5 of The Byrds Collective and performed a few old favorite Byrds tunes for us ! Great job, Tom !
Thanks to all for the comments. Saturday was fun because it was a rare chance for me to get in front of a real audience. I spent the whole time on stage with my finger over my ear, trying in vain to hear the vocals (no monitors!). I have no idea if the vocals were on pitch, too soft, too loud, blending with Mark, etc. But the charitable audience reacted well, so I guess things sounded decent at least. The videotape, if there is one, will tell. I know that there were a lot of flat vocals that day from pretty much everyone. Thanks for helping to get that jam together, Rich. Tom

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
Zurdo

Post by Zurdo »

wow, very impressive and realistic to say the least!! your vocals sound just like McGuinn. If that sound is the Janglebox, I am sold! The only thing you really really missed was Chris Hillman's bad note on the Bass on the second verse in the original Byrds recording :mrgreen:
Rickenbacker 370-12 1966, Hofner 500/1 1966, Gibson ES-150 DCW 1970,
Vox Viscount 1967, Vox Series 90 1969. Yamaha PSR-9000 Midi Sequencer Arranger 2000
Zurdo

Post by Zurdo »

songs like these seem to make me change my opinion about The Beatles, in the sense that The Byrds played so many beautiful and lyrical songs, The Notorious Byrd Brothers album is so superior to any Beatles album, in the sense of the songwriting, the sound, the vocals, hey men.

"Change is Now" is one song I would like Tom to do.
Vox Viscount 1967, Vox Series 90 1969. Yamaha PSR-9000 Midi Sequencer Arranger 2000
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

Zurdo wrote:songs like these seem to make me change my opinion about The Beatles, in the sense that The Byrds played so many beautiful and lyrical songs, The Notorious Byrd Brothers album is so superior to any Beatles album, in the sense of the songwriting, the sound, the vocals, hey men.

"Change is Now" is one song I would like Tom to do.
I have to strongly disagree about the Beatles comment, but I guess that's subjective. As far as the bad Hillman note, I heard it and thought "what the heck is he playing THAT for?", so I fixed it for him. He's got a couple of clams on the Byrds records.

"Change is Now" is on my to do list, but I'm concerned about getting the right guitar sound for the song and especially, the solo. I'll get to it someday. My next choice was going to be "Set you free this time", but another forum member just covered it (and very well). Thanks, Tom

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
Zurdo

Post by Zurdo »

I think he used the neck pickup only in "change is now". That's what it sounds like to me and that's how it sounds in my '66 370-12. El Necko Pickupo by itselfo.

Yes, Hillman did a few no-nos, in "Tambourine Man" too, that tells me they did these recordings in one take and "NEXT!!".
1a12

Post by 1a12 »

I usually dig just about any Byrds cover...yours is fantastic!

Have you heard this?... a must for any true fan. There are some odd flavors here, but the spirit is in check....Im a DJ who played Statics' version of "It happens each day" last night coincidentally!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Betwe ... _The_Byrds
janglebox

Post by janglebox »

1a12 wrote:I usually dig just about any Byrds cover...yours is fantastic!
That's interesting because I find that I actually don't like most Byrd covers. The ones that stray too far from the original template are the ones I tend to like the least. Tom's cover is almost absurdly fantastic. Aside from the brilliance in getting all the instruments and vocals perfect, I can't imagine the discipline it must take to execute the performance so precisely — without adding some personal guitar tics or licks. I've listened to it a half dozen times and aside from the sheer enjoyment of the performance, I think I'm actually envious of how dead-on the playing & vocals are, lol! :wink:
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

Thanks Jos, Adam, and Steve for the encouraging words. I checked out "Change is Now" and there's no way I can currently get the guitar tones necessary to do a decent job on it. Now....... if Steve would get busy and release an add-on product to the JangleBox, one that could replicate the tones used on the late 1966/67 Byrds albums, there would be a lot more songs from that period that I would attempt. I'm talking about the infamous 'cigarbox' tone.
Thanks again, guys. Those comments mean a lot to me. Tom

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
mcd220

Post by mcd220 »

Man, I don't think you'll get closer than that.

Beautiful job, and especially noteworthy is the pedal steel simulation, that deserves alot of credit, I think.

OK, how about Dennis Wilson's "Forever", as the BBs are where you really shine bright, and you are very lucky to have a multi octve voice to pull that off.

Best, Christian
Zurdo

Post by Zurdo »

beatbyrd wrote:Thanks Jos, Adam, and Steve for the encouraging words. I checked out "Change is Now" and there's no way I can currently get the guitar tones necessary to do a decent job on it. Now....... if Steve would get busy and release an add-on product to the JangleBox, one that could replicate the tones used on the late 1966/67 Byrds albums, there would be a lot more songs from that period that I would attempt. I'm talking about the infamous 'cigarbox' tone.
Thanks again, guys. Those comments mean a lot to me. Tom
if you mean the fuzz tone, you can get it with a Vox fuzz. It is the only fuzz with a "u" voicing.

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”