Apache

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
royclough
RRF Consultant

Apache

Post by royclough »

Whilst all comments are welcome some posts have digressed from the main topic somewhat which is fine, as all comment is valid but what I want to do now is start a topic on what I consider a classic track. For me Apache by The Shadows is one of those tracks that defines for me a time and place,suddenly guys like me who wore glasses thought hey if I can learn to play like Hank I can be a star, course nobody plays like Hank though many come close,one of my music highlights was meeting the man and he asked me what I thought of Don't Cry For Me Argentina, I told him to release it as a single but he thought it would make a good album tRack as too many had done it, eventually they did release it as a single and result was first top 5 record in years. I don't hold any illusions that it was me who persuaded him but he did ask me. I find it hard to believe that you guys across the pond took to the version of Apache by Jorgen Ingmann, is there anybody who wants to debate that. The Shadows really don't mean a thing in US or am I wrong!
TODAY'S THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Roy: I certainly have noticed that The Shadows, in spite of their great talent, did not chart well in the US. Hank Marvin is a guitar guru for many and his smooth, easy and innovative style in concert with the great tonality he achieve should have led to bigger and better things for them in North America. I suspect that there instrumental style took a backseat to The Ventures which were THE instrumental group on this side of the pond during the 1960s.

But Apache is a haunting theme for its day and it certaily started the ball rolling as a classic tune. It has been and continues to be emulated by all lead guitarists many decades later. It is an easy song to learn the notes to, however, to play it properly takes time to perfect the style. I never grow tired of it and it remains one of those instrumentals that is hummed by all who hear it, whether they play the guitar or not.

What I also like about Apache is that it is all guitar and not filled with effects like some others that were introduced around the same time such as Telstar by the Tornadoes.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Might be easy for you Peter, I never mastered it but then again never really mastered anything. It has been covered by literally 100's but The Ventures version of the tune lacked the feeling that The Shadows had though I like The Ventures, their version of Perfida was far better than The Shadows version which they put out on their second album though in fairness they did trate the tune in a different manner. in fact Bert Weedon who probably means nothing over there but was a big name guitarist in the early sixties had first option on it as I understand but he deliberated and the Shads got in he put his own version out but whilst good not a patch on The Shads.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Ah telstar now that has to be considered a classic, first british band to top the charts in US. Sound on though owed more to the producer Joe Meek than the band in my view. I actually consider their first single Love and Fury to have been their finest but it sank without trace.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I quite agree that The Ventures version of Apache does not have the feeling of The Shadows track. Marvin has a great touch which is immediately apparent when you listen to his playing.

His interpreation is marvellous, whether he is playing for the Shadows or backing up Cliff Richard. I think Apache was also very successful as it followed on the footsteps of many western movies and the song certaily has a wild west flavour that goes well beyond its name.

Horses on high cliffs, racing into the valley, jogging along the dusty trail, all of these are images that one can relate to when listening to this song.

Also, this was long before videos, which really would have sent this song to the top of the charts in the US.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
rictified

Post by rictified »

The ventures version was the only I knew existed, I learned many of their songs as a kid on guitar. I never realized many of their tunes were covers when I was a kid.
karl_teten
Intermediate Member

Post by karl_teten »

I highly recommend everyone seeking out the CD titled 'The Cliff Richard Show - Live at the ABC Kingston - 1962'.

Recorded March 7, 1962, half the album is great live SHADOWS!!

The CD comes in a mini LP style tri-fold jacket with a mini replicated show program book.
dale_fortune
Intermediate Member

Post by dale_fortune »

I have a 45rpm version of Apache by a Swedish guitarist, Correct me if I spell his name wrong, Jorma Ingman. 1st version I ever heard, love all that echo he played to.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Beleive it was Jorgen Ingmann which is the version that was a hit in the States. If you've never heard Apache by The Shads let me know I'll send it.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Was not aware that the ABC CD came in a special version, version I had didn't, perhaps a export only version.

I highly recommend The Final Tour DVD, bit of a misnomer as they then did a European Final Tour, but believe me it is excellent value for money.
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

All the Shadows stuff was great, Roy and Peter.

"Walk Don't Run" by the Ventures was the first solo I ever tried to play (still trying 40 years later - haha!!) Image
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Of course Hank has lived in Perth, Australia for many years now.
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

And he will glady autograph one of his Burns signature guitars if you 1) buy one and 2) can find him.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Howard: Please send us a photo when you accomplish your next mission.

ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

Peter, if you're:

1) suggesting I buy one and get it signed, I'm afraid I'm going to have to disappoint you.

2) nail "Walk Don't Run", gladly!

3) Get some more Rickenbackers (my genuine next mission), you know I will!!

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”