Reputable Rick Luthier In The VA/DC/MD Area

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Kickenedgar

Reputable Rick Luthier In The VA/DC/MD Area

Post by Kickenedgar »

Mark,
My X-mas present came early this year. I bought a 1967 4001S in FG from Dan Ealey recently and I'm interested in getting it set up. It's sporting roundwounds now, but I plan to put Pyramid flats on it. I'm pretty sure that'll reduce some of the neck tension. However, if it doesn't bring the action down low enough up around the 12th fret, I'd like to take it to someone locally who would be able to properly adjust the neck for me. Do you know of any reputable luthiers in the VA/DC/MD vicinity who would be able to do this? I look forward to hearing from you.
Ed
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

I am sorry ,but I don't know of anyone in that area.
Anybody else?

you might go over to
http://www.voxtalks.com and ask there as well.

The older guitars with neck problems can tax ones patience if you are NOT familiar with the system of setup in a Rick .

You might print out my posting on ...How Not to adjust Truss rods.

That could be extrememly helpful to whomever you take it to .Also you might passalong the knowledge of this website to that person.
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!
Joel_Blakey

Post by Joel_Blakey »

.. got my ' 75 4001 JG back from Southworth Guitars in Bethesda Md (right outside of DC...I had the frets leveled (crowned), intonation, and totally re-wired...they did a great job!
Last place I took it to really screwed it up. I picked up radio, it buzzed, the switch would not stay in any position but center, the vol and tone knobs were in the right place but not the pots under them....terrible terrible terrible. I decided not to take it back there but just to move on and find someone else. Glad I did.
Bassman_4080

Post by Bassman_4080 »

Joel: Do they 'know' Ricks (at or anywhere near Mark the MD's level of experience?) What was the turnaround time? Reasonable, or the usual 'sometime this year'? I can think of a couple of places here (VA/DC/MD area) to absolutely AVOID with Ricks (but I won't name names- email me if you're interested)? I'd love to find someone local- no offense, Mark- for the more 'routine' things like you mentioned- setups, fret work, etc.. I think I'll still leave the 'big' stuff for Mark's expertise, unless otherwise heavily influenced by either party.
Thanks!!
J.Blakey

Post by J.Blakey »

Southworth told me it would take a week... I got it back within a week, and it cost me $217.00
High? I don't know... it cost about a hundred to get screwed before. I called them a few times before taking it there... (paranoia) asking about the repairmans work. They didn't flinch when I said Rick 4001. However in my "once bitten twice shy" attitude, I did download the schematics and drawing of the wiring from RIC to avoid another problem and repairman excuses. I think that was a good idea.

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”