Refinishing a '66 345-Q

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Kery

Refinishing a '66 345-Q

Post by Kery »

Mark,
Have you ever heard of a 345-Q ? It is handwritten
in red letters inside the body. Peter McCormack has dated it as a 1966 model. The owner said it originally was a sunburst type paint job, but it was really worn out so he varnished it. I have sanded it all off and am ready to paint but I need more info on Rickenbacker's paint process in '66. My brother is a professional auto painter, and will do all the actual painting, but he wants me to find out what kind of paint to use, and also what order they laid it out. Also, any paint code numbers or color information would be much appreciated. Thanks
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

By the way folks ...the Q is a meaningless in house (Dick Burke ) coding .This was a way to keep track of inventory .

Maybe John Hall could give more info as to the system.
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

As I was not there in that time frame ,I will pass the baton to J.Hall.
rick12dr
Veteran RRF member

Post by rick12dr »

I had a friend who owned a '66 33-12 some years back, and inside this guitar, it was inscribed,
345 S 12.Well, it was Not a 3 PU Rick, and neither did it have a vibrato on it.But this one was odd, in that[and I've Never seen or heard of this before or since] as it was a 330-12, with No
binding on neck, or inlays, but it had the Front edge bound and Not the back, and also had a bound catseye soundhole.
Kery

Post by Kery »

How do I contact John Hall? Thanks for all the info.
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

Just yodel at this site and he comes running ....or go to

jhall@rickenbacker.com

tell him we sent you
anon

Post by anon »

I've got a Rick 330 that has 345-C written inside it and it was never been routed for a 3rd PU????
I dont know what the C is for???
FATRAT
jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

Here's the best rule to follow concerning the lettering on the inside cavity of these guitars: They don't mean a thing.
glen_l

Post by glen_l »

here's a pic of a '64 RM1997 that I recently snapped in a friends workshop prior to it's refinish back to fg. Note the internal designation as a 345. Seems a very common thing.
http://www.geocities.com/g7sus4/641997cl.jpg
Brother_Ray

Post by Brother_Ray »

I own a 1967 Ric 12 string that cosmetically looks like a 330/12. Inside the body cavity three inspectors have signed their names and/or initials and written the number 345/12X. This is all under the finish over spray, so I am sure it is original. I have been puzzled by this for years, as this guitar has no serial number on the jackplate; it is a bare metal bench part. I dated the guitar from the volume and tone pots which are Jan 67. I find this confusing but I can't believe the markings don't mean anything.
rick12dr
Veteran RRF member

Post by rick12dr »

Bro Ray, I had a friend who had a '66 330-12 w bound soundhole and top of body Only binding, and inside it said 34512S . Go figure...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

John: Yes it would seem that there are many instances of lettering inside that are inconsistent with the instrument in question. It is a shame as this would be a great opportunity to record important information with regard to the Rickenbacker that has just been crafted. I am wondering if this practice of lettering inside instruments is currently taking place.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

Then I will have to post the question directly at John Hall and see if he has any 'official' idea what were the felt pen markings of Dick Burke ,inside the body cavities on the backs of the guitars and basses.

Any idea?

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”