5 String Pickup Specs

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

jps
RRF Consultant

5 String Pickup Specs

Post by jps »

Anybody here know the dimensions of the neck and bridge pups on a Cheyenne 5 string? Most important is the string spacing at the pup not at the nut or bridge as I am considering putting one of these on a different instrument. The outside dimensions would be nice to know also, thanks for your help.
jeff_ulmer
Intermediate Member

Post by jeff_ulmer »

AFAIK there is only one Cheyenne 5 in existence right now, so the only way to measure it would be if the folks at Ric could do that (assuming its owner hasn't picked it up).
jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

Here's some specs from the Ric web site

4004/5cII specs

Neck Width at Nut 50.8 mm (2")
Neck Width at 12th Fret 68.3 mm (2 11/16")

4004 specs

Neck Width at Nut 42.9 mm (1 11/16")
Neck Width at 12th Fret 54.0 mm (2 1/8")

They don't give pickup or bridge dimensions.
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Jeffrey, I believe you wish to know the dimensions of the pickup covers (=metal casings). I assume these are the same as on a 4003 neck pickup. Do you have access to one? If negative, I'll be glad to provide you with such dimensions. Please advise.
A Rickenbacker bass is much like the Jaguar E car - perennially ultra-fashionable.
jeff_ulmer
Intermediate Member

Post by jeff_ulmer »

These will be wider than a 4003, since the Cii5 has a considerably wider neck. These also (from the mockup photo) don't have any metal on them, just a plastic cover.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

The most important aspect is the string spacing at the pickup so I can determine whether the pup will work with the string spacing on the bass I want to install it on, namely a Zon 5/1. I intend to place the pup in the spot that the original pup is, so string spacing is important. I have a 4001 so I can measure those pickups but I assume the 5 string pup would be wider.
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Jeffrey: indeed, as far as I can tell the pickups on a Cheyenne 5-string have little in common with those on a 4-string Rick as far as appearance and probably construction are concerned. Maybe they have a single polepiece that senses all five strings rather than five separate polepieces, in which case they would be suitable for your project. I'm afraid I can't help you any further.
A Rickenbacker bass is much like the Jaguar E car - perennially ultra-fashionable.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”