HB+higain=quack

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

HB+higain=quack

Post by loverickbass »

Sergio,

My bass has a HB in the neck and the stock higain in the bridge position. When both volumes on full I get the out of phase tone. Is there anything I could do to fix this or should I just learn to deal with it?

Cole
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

Switch the connections for the wires on the hi gain pickup where it connects to the tone, volume or switch, and it should go away.
kcole4001

Post by kcole4001 »

Or, length of wire permitting, swap the pup end for end.
Plus five minus five!
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Yeah, but switch the high-gain p.u. connections under the mount plate rather than at the pots or switch, otherwise you can bet you'll get a lot of HUM.
A Rickenbacker bass is much like the Jaguar E car - perennially ultra-fashionable.
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

OK, thanks guys. I'll give it a try.

Cole
jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

I find putting a single coil and a humbucker together in a bass sounds good ... but when both volumes are at the same level they do phase out and cut the bass response ... this will vary by bass and pickups and wiring ...

also pretty much any 2 pickup bass with growl more when the volume controls are set at different levels ... and it will sound smoother when the volumes are equal ...
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

Thanks Jeff. I really love this HB in the neck! I've got the "do it all" bass now. Rush,Yes,Cream,Beatles,you name it I can handle it.

Cole
jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

most basses have 2 pickups ... one approach is to have both pickups be pretty much the same ... another approach is one is hot and one is not ... when you take the second approach you usually have to turn each one to a different volume number to keep away from phase cancelation ... I have a p-bass with a 1/4 pound pickup it is hot and nasty ... then I added a jazz pickup that is wound about 6 or 7 k ohms ... when I run both at 10 there is a small amount of bass cancelation but when I back off the jazz a little then it starts to get fatter and growls more ... I have a similar approach with a 4003s5 the bridge pickup is 15k ohms and the neck toaster is 7.4k ohms ... so I open everything up to 10 and then back off the neck volume to 6-9 range ...

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”