Low Output on 66 330

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Mr.Tidy

Low Output on 66 330

Post by Mr.Tidy »

Greeeeeeetings,
As the owner of a 1966 330, I must admit I am a little disappointed with its low low output. I do not believe it is defective, just lower output than I like. I remember a discussion about removing a capacitor on early 4001 basses, and I notice a big black thing between the pickup selector switch and the treble volume knob on the interior of this geeeeeetar. If I remove this, will the output go up?
Any modification I make, I would like to be reversible in case I decide to sell someday.
Thanks
P.S. I have done the obvious, checked pickup height, put nice thick strings on it.
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

The capacitor that you are thinking of removing is the one that runs between the bottom lug of the switch to the treble volume control.

The 2 large can capacitors are for the tone controls .they are probably .047mfd. and rated at 100volts.
The 100volt rating is the most those caps can take and as there is just a millivolt or less in a guitar ...this rated cap is over kill.

But it was very common place for the amplifier industry ...I'm sure it was used in the old Rick amps.

By the way ...an off topic but one I will address here and now .
On a personal note ..i have had to deal with my Father and his wife this last 30 days and their health issues .I will report them to be fine at this time ,but as they live in Las Vegas Nev.USA and I outside of Seattle Wash.USA it is a problem logistically .
My father has had surgery for a cancerous Thyroid and has had some problem s with the use of his arms .In November he had a cataract removed and the thyroid problem surfaced in tests.
His wife of almost 30 years has had several problems as well ...a lung removed due to smoking and a broken arm that has left her with a major hassle .At age 81 ,time is catching up with them.

So I have not been available in my normal capacity.
I have heard of the postings concerning me on the AGR and the issue is being sorted out .
I have noticed that NOT ALL the info concerning this is being posted and this will all be rectified.
For those who have me working on their guitars / basses ...I am sorry for the delays ,but my family is far more impotant to me than your instrument.I will however take care of your needs and I am back to work in FULL.

I will also NOt take any pot shots at the individual who is slandering me at that site and will bury the hatchet if he will.

This is not the owner of the instrument in question .
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Mr. Tidy: Others have removed this capacitor (the one between the bottom lug of the switch and the treble control) and have been satisfied with the result. I believe that Mark is suggesting this would be something to consider, given your concern, but did not get around to saying so in his post above. This is easy to put back should you not find the result to be satisfactory.

Mark: Please let me know if I have misinterpreted you here. I am sure that Tidy needs to get on with it.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

Yes ,I guess I left out the important issue of the .0047 mfd cap that runs between the volume and the bottom lug on the switch ...replace that with a piece of wire and you will get 100% of the volume.

The big caps (.047mfd) are the tone caps and thats all they do ...they don't remove any volume .

Do you have a Volt/Ohm meter ?

What do the pickups read out at?
How close to the strings do you have the pickups ?
Does the neck pickup appear higher off the face than the bridge pickup when you set the guitar on a table with th eback on the table?
If so you have the infamous 1960's reverse angle neck,or rather negative angle.

You might remove the pickguard and remove the lint that 'grows' inside guitars ...check the pots and if they are scratchy ,you could use a tuner cleaner to flush them out.Don't go nuts with the stuff though.
Radio Shack carries this spray and is cost effective.
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!
rick12dr
Veteran RRF member

Post by rick12dr »

Regarding the "low output" issue with this 330;
it may also be possible that the magnets on the PUs have weakened with age.I have sent a few 60s Rick toasters to Lindy Fralin and he remagnetized them[I think the tech term is "regaussed"]. Thid does make a difference for the better.
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

Better yet, leave the cap in the guitar for future use and just solder a lead across it, effectively shorting it out. Or install a switch (or change one of the pots to push/pull switch) across it so that you can choose between "old" and "new" sound.

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”