1982 4001S-- dual truss rods?

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

brian_murphy

1982 4001S-- dual truss rods?

Post by brian_murphy »

I recently purchased a used 4001S (serial no. indicates March 1982 production, and RIC rep. says records show it is a 4001S). When I took the nameplate off the headstock, to my surprise, I found two truss rod nuts. I had thought that the 1982 models, particularly the 4001S, had a single truss rod. The model checks out....so my real question is, are there any differences in this truss rod system and the later 4001V63 systems? Plus, the neck is nice and chunky, like a 4001CS or late nineties v63. Was that standard for these?
BPM
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

Except for some of the 1950's basses ALL Rickenbacker basses have TWO truss rods.

The system used up until the split guard 4003's was the original and then was changed to a cold rolled steel system that used only a threaded rod ,not a folded over steel rod .

While both systems may be removed (as pointed out by John Hall) there is really no reason to remove the new system for any reason other than the threads were crossthreaded some how .

The new rods are industry standard and are excellant .Too bad you can't reto fit them into the old instruments with out removing the fretboard.
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!
Brian_Murphy

Post by Brian_Murphy »

Thanks Mark. Fortunately, I have found so far that, on this 4001S, I am able to play nickle roundwounds in the same gauges (45/55/75/105) that RIC reccommends for the newer 400X models with the new rods. The intonation is great, and the action is about .023 at the sixth fret, when fretted at the 1st and 19th frets on the E string. The rods could use a bit of adjusting to lower this, but I'm still in the cautious phase with this instrument. It feels about like my CS.
However, what would it cost me to have the rods replaced with the new ones? I understand from your posting that the fretboard would be removed for this.....does that pose much risk to the fretboard, or is it a given that it would most likely need to be replaced as well, due to this process? Thanks!
Brian Murphy
Brian_Murphy

Post by Brian_Murphy »

Thanks Mark. Fortunately, I have found so far that, on this 4001S, I am able to play nickle roundwounds in the same gauges (45/55/75/105) that RIC reccommends for the newer 400X models with the new rods. The intonation is great, and the action is about .023 at the sixth fret, when fretted at the 1st and 19th frets on the E string. The rods could use a bit of adjusting to lower this, but I'm still in the cautious phase with this instrument. It feels about like my CS.
However, what would it cost me to have the rods replaced with the new ones? I understand from your posting that the fretboard would be removed for this.....does that pose much risk to the fretboard, or is it a given that it would most likely need to be replaced as well, due to this process? Thanks!
Brian Murphy
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

On an old Rick with the original rod system this is rather expensive .

I would say ...get the originals to work and leave it at that.
Removing a fretboard is a tricky job and sometimes you end up replacing it .

I am working on a 4002 bass that has a neck angle problem that was compounded by a repair job that added to the problem.
The bridge is as low as it can go and it plays like an upright.
So to fix this I have made a new fretboard ,changed the angle of the board so that it is lower at the nut than usual,high at the end than usual and then milled off the original fretboard ,glue on the new one ,mill binding slots on the sides,refret,dot and cut a new nut .

Sound easy doesn't it?
Brian_Murphy

Post by Brian_Murphy »

Wow........you're a braver man than I! I'll take your advice to heart, given that the bass is quite playable as is, and that I prefer playing the nickle wound 45/55/75/105's over standard Swing Bass set. Rotosounds were responsible (I'll take some of the blame too!) for eating my 1980 Ibanez Musician bass's frets, along with messing up its intonation quite severely.

Thanks for the info!

Brian Murphy
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

Brave has very little to do with it .

I have been doing this stuff for a long time .With the right tools and know how ,it's like washing a cat .

It just takes some planing and some math .
Bassman_4080

Post by Bassman_4080 »

Washing a cat? Easier said than done, Mark. Most of the time I just tape their front legs together and......oops, sorry.
Anxious to hear (pardon the pun) the results.

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”