4001C64

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Robert_Brunn

4001C64

Post by Robert_Brunn »

As a bass player and a Macca fan, I'm looking forward to seeing this baby. Anyone know what the difference is going to be between the 4001v63PMC and this one ?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Robert: I don't have many details to offer and we will have to wait until January 18th. What I do know is based on a posting at VoxTalks which suggested that the 4001C64 will have the horn shaved down just like McCartney's modification. Sorry, outside of a Mapleglo finish, that's about all the post, which was only in draft form, indicated.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
Nick_Thiel

Post by Nick_Thiel »

There are many differences between a V63 and the real thing, I think you will dig the changes. Peter is correct, there is a version of a C64 that will be issued with the shaved horn, very cool in my opinion.
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

Nick: You say "there is a version of a C64 that will be issued with the shaved horn" I assume this means that one could buy one without the shaved horn, i.e. like Paul's on the day he got it?
Thanks,
Squirebass
"This is the big one, Elizabeth, I'm coming to join ya, honey!"
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Squirebass: While you are waiting for Nick's response, based on the documents that were on the web, the spirit of the "C" Series and reading between the lines I would say that a 4001C64 will be offered exactly like McCartney's as it was shipped from the factory. I would also speculate that an obvious exception, being that it would not make good business sense, would be to offer both a right handed and a left-handed model. I just can't imagine what the waiting list for this model will be.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
rick12dr
Veteran RRF member

Post by rick12dr »

I wonder if Rick will put the clear Plexi fingergrip on it like all the old ones had up till
around '72 or so? And of course, unless someone at Rick got Really anal retentive and bugged a tuner mfr., you won't get dead on Kluson bass tuners, not that the current reissues are poor by any means, but, to a real nutcase[I mean that in a good way, guys] on;y nickel plated genuine will do.
Nick_Thiel

Post by Nick_Thiel »

I think you guys are on track. Here is a pic that I took last summer at the factory of the shaved proto that also appeared in the "Linda McCartney Story".

http://dev.staffordnet.com/Frank/4001a.jpg

This guitar was absolutely perfect and was put together by Naoki Oghane, it's easy to see why he is THE man when it comes to stuff.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Very nice photo Nick.

squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

Yipes!!! and do I understand this will be a "real" horseshoe?!? Folks, I can't wait for Thursday to arrive so we can have a look at the whole enchilada!
"This is the big one, Elizabeth, I'm coming to join ya, honey!"
anon

Post by anon »

A real horseshoe?
I am for hoping this too. RIC doesn't seem to list a bass horseshoe at the moment so if the gossip is true..an "old" one may be coming.
jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

I could be wrong but I don't believe that McCartney's bass ever had the clear plexi "finger grip". Am I wrong?
anon

Post by anon »

When McCartney first received the bass in 1964, it did have a clear plexi finger grip...I think.
Nick_Thiel

Post by Nick_Thiel »

All of my pics have no plexi grip or previous holes either, but do show that the guard cracked early on in the studio and tour pics.
Craig

Post by Craig »

Will it be available in a right handed model?
With the headstock upside down? and the nameplate reversed?
Now that would be a pretty bass!
Nick_Thiel

Post by Nick_Thiel »

Craig, you're on the right track.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”