Dual truss rods on '99 4003 JG?

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

lucien_s

Dual truss rods on '99 4003 JG?

Post by lucien_s »

Hi,
I just bought a '99 4003 JG (black, very nice), but it has dual truss rods in the neck. At least it looks that way - it has the two side-by-side adjustment nuts, like my old 4001 had.. I thought all new 4003's had only a single truss rod?

What's the scoop?

Lucien
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

NO they still have two rods .This is a Rickenbacker trait.

I will go out on one of my famous limbs and say that with the new rods they really don't need two ...but after all these years of two it is a style thing as well as a marketing thing .Sort of like Spional Tap ....goes to 11 .

The 'vintage' rods are another issue and you will, in the long run, be glad your new bass does not have them.
Now don't all you guys with old guitars and basses flip out on this ,There is a way to make the old work ...it's just that the new is so nice to operate .So smooth ....so light to the touch .
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!
lucien

Post by lucien »

Mark,
Ok, thanks for the info.
Sure is good to have a rick again. I sold my other two back when I was in college. This one looks just like my old black 4001, my first rick, so it's very nostalgic.

BTW, if anyone is looking for a 4001v63, Strait music in Austin, TX, has a brand new one in their downtown store for about $1250. They're selling all their ricks at nearly cost, apparently they had a bad experience with Rickenbacker and are dropping all their products. Go figure...

BTW, I don't work for Strait, just noticed they had a v63 that they can't seem to get rid of.

Lucien.

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”