Is Rickenbacker dropping the Vintage Reissues?

Modern years of Rickenbacker Guitars from 1984 to the present

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

fatrat

Is Rickenbacker dropping the Vintage Reissues?

Post by fatrat »

I've been hearing rumors that Rickenbacker is dropping the 59 325, 360 V64 12 and the 4001v63 now whats up with that??? and someone said that the whole vintage reissue line will be discontinued this year???
I know that these have to be the most purchased models in the Rick catalog.....
I would like for John Hall to clear this up....Im a bit Jaded by the Guitar industries so please forgive my tone but,
is this the old, demand is down, they are showing up on ebay used all the time...lets quit making them for 10 years and make everyone pay through the nose for a used one for a while??? and then when we re-release them in 2010, people will be glad to pay 5000.00 for a brand new 360-12 v64 with an incorrect Fireglo finish???
Sorry to bust your chops, John Hall, your father was a great businessman, very smart to have gotten the Beatles before Leo Fender ran over and gave George that Strat he always wanted back in Liverpool.... all joking aside, your father is very missed, Im very sorry to hear of his passing...I hope that maybe one day a more detailed history of Rickenbacker and your father will come out, the 2 books that are out now are great for pictures and have the very basic good information.... Im sure we all learn alot from them, I know I did, but its time for an updated versions...we have graduated, and are now in the 5th grade, we still are using thoses 1st grade books ..... but ok, back to my point, like I said Im very jaded by the guitar business and I think most people who went through the 1980s when most guitars could be had at affordable rates even new from a dealer, are a little feed up with it now, all the signature models and limited editions it doesnt mean anything anymore, hell Gretsch or martin, might have the Pee Wee Herman uke, out by now, I dont know...the Rickenbackers that I speak of were the first 60s guitars to come out in a reissued form, back in the 80s when it was a real treat to be thrown a bone...that was a real bad time as far as quallity goes...even Rickenbacker made some clinkers in the early 80s....thick tops/heavy guitars... remember....
Now most of us are reduced to searching for instruments with headstock breaks or refins on ebay due to the nutty prices that the american guitar manufacture ask for this stuff new..........
can I hear an amen Brethren.....I didnt hear you....am I alone on this one????
Oh well, I dont really care that much, Im just blowing off steam anyway.... but I think these are the coolest models, thats all.... Ive got a 60s 330, 360-12v64 and a 320, but I dont want to have to pay through the nose if I deside I want a 4001v63 down the road and I cant get one....but hell, maybe Im making the point for Mr. Hall that it would be a good idea to take these reissues away in our age of over saturation, we can get anything reissued, just throw money....but John Hall, if you come back out with these guitars again, please put some yellow in the clear coats so that the very white bindings, dont blind us and the Fireglow has a little yellow color in the middle!!!!
that new Fireglo aint getting it Mr. Hall, think yellow....
BYE....
the mean side of FATRAT
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Fat Rat: For clarification with regard to the Vintage Reissues that have been discontinued please refer to the Offical Rickenbacker Site information with regard to placing Last Orders. RIC has moved on from some, but not all, of the Vintage Reissues in order to have them more closely resemble the original vintage models. These instruments will go on display at NAMM on January 18, 2001. Yes, quality instruments can be expensive and with these new lines on the horizon I would seem reasonable that prices will increase for the "C" Series. It is also possible as collectors move to the new series that some of the used vintage reissues may drop in price. It will be interesting to see what happens.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
anon

Post by anon »

As far as the yellow in the finish of a 360.

You are comparing an almost 40 year old guitar finish to new. I can guarantee you that Harrison's didn't have yellowed binding when he got it back in 64. Lacquer ages and changes color over time, I've seen ten-year-old Rics that have done the same. So when the new 360C63 is unveiled at NAMM in two days, try to be kind and use this new information that I've given you, when you critique it.
fatrat

Post by fatrat »

look, I didnt mean to ruffle your feathers, I have a 1990 and Ive had new Ricks that Ive bought off the shelf from a dealer in the past, Im not all knowing or something, but ive owned a few fireglos.....it is just a FORUM right??? you dont mind letting some people have an opinion do ya's??? Im glad to hear yours.....
I dont think you understand what Im talking about or dont know about guitar finishes....
I know that a 20 year old guitar is going to age due to temp/weather/smoke/hand grime...
the Carl Wilson is a good example of the difference in the Fireglo, its red on the edges and stark natural in the middle, and white binding...
I guess some people like it, thats fine, I'll let 'em.... but I like the old Fireglo red/light red/pale yellow...even without the age....
Dont worry, I dont think Im going to stop production by being a little critical...
you'll be able to buy one....or sell one, if that's the case..."ANONOYMOUS"
thanks for the "new" information, I'll try to be a kinder, gentler, passive, Rickenbacker player, when the new Ricks are unvailed at twice the price, and I'll just remember our little talk...

love, FATRAT Image ??? Image ???
anon

Post by anon »

The most expensive new Rics are going to list at $3199, which is pretty cheap when you consider they are retooling everything to make it happen. Rickenbacker is using the exact same red as they always have. The burst has been up to the guy in the paint shop down on the floor, which varies depending on the grain in each guitar. The yellow that you are seeing is likely the lacquer that has changed. One little piece of info that you might be interested in is that the guys in the paint shop have been perfecting the Harrison spray pattern for the last few weeks. All new 360V64s that will be leaving the factory from now on will now have that pattern until series orders are completed in a few months. So if you're concerned about money, buy a last run 360V64 and it will at least have the new spray pattern, but the old hardware and body/neck design.

The 360C63 is as close as it will ever get, I don't think anyone will be let down by this one. Rickenbacker has gone to every length to make sure it will satisfy the craziest of crazies out there.

Also, take it easy on "ANONOYMOUS", I think he was just reflecting some of your on tone in your previous post right back at you. You can't go on a rant and expect it not to be answered in the same manner.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Modern Years - After 1983”