Getting the "right" sound from a 4003.

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Steven_Brence

Getting the "right" sound from a 4003.

Post by Steven_Brence »

Hi,

A year ago I traded my mid '70's 4001 for a long sought after Steinberger L2. After missing my former bass tremendously, I replaced it with a new 4003.

While it looks and plays just as good, I can't seem to get the same kind of sound out of it. Rather than that "famous" ringing sustain and piano like tone, it sounds rather like a P-bass, warm but not particularly bright and without remarkable sustain.

Do all 4003's sound this way? Might there be a technical problem/remedy? I have tried several varieties of strings (the Rotosounds I used to use, D'Addario Prisms, etc.) but it still isn't there. Does the sound of the pickups change with age? I miss the 'clank' of my old Rick.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Steven Brence
Brian_Murphy

Post by Brian_Murphy »

Just an observation on my part-- I purchased a 4001 CS about 2 years ago, after not owning a RIC for nearly 15 years (previously had a 4001). Something about the sound was different on the new one-- front pickup wasn't quite as round and the output was lower from it, and overall the bass sounded 'woodier' than my old RIC. Not as metallic sounding! Granted, on the CS, the pickups are vintage remakes, so there IS less output than the newer pickups, but I know what you are talking about. I just bought a 1982 4001S, and bingo.....there's that old sound again! Round, clear front pickup sound (so clear that I can get the Chris Squire sound without the back pickup!!). I picked up a 4003 in Mars music the other day and thumped it, and sure enough, there's that woody tone again! Not vintage sounding. Technically, I can't tell you why (finishes, thicker necks, maple density, more windings on pickups????? I dunno?!), but I agree with you in general. As I said, just an observation!!! Good luck!
Landonion

Post by Landonion »

I believe the newer pickups have a lot more wire wrapped around the coils, thus increasing the output but reducing the amount of treble output. But with a little EQ on your amp or with a EQ pedal you can boost the high end and crank the treble on your bass, you can get that nice trebly sound. It's close to the old pickups. I like the sound of the newer type..for me. They are a little more versatile. I can keep the treble tone but also round it off for more bass tones.
Brian_Murphy

Post by Brian_Murphy »

You're absolutely correct about the versatility of the newer ones. I have some current applications within which I could play the CS, no problem, but the 4001S would be quite a standout! So, there IS that to consider. Excellent point.
petew4001
Veteran RRF member

Post by petew4001 »

I purchased a 4003s/5 this past autumn after having my 4001 for 20 years. While the new guitar is a beauty (Mapleglo)it has Toaster pup on top,which looks very cool, it does not have that rattley , high end that I love so much on my 4001.
The pickups are also alot hotter, and the treble controls don't bring it up as "trebley" as the 4001.
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

I own a 1972 4001, 1987 4001v63 and a 2000 4003S/5. The 4001 has that great hard edge RIC sound that were all so familiar with. The 4001v63 pick-ups are much hotter than the 4001' but more mellow sounding with less edge. The 4003S/5 is a different sound again, nice deep bass. Personally I don't want my 5 string to sound like my 4001. I like it to be a solid sound without out the edge. If I need edge, out comes the 4001.
Cheers

PS - I've yet to hear a 4003 sound like a early to mid 70's 4001.
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

I agree completely with the points all of you make. At one time I thought it was just my hearing had changed over the years, because for a long time I owned a couple of v63s and a '90s 4003s. Then I bought a '73 4001 and BINGO, there was that gritty treble growl!
BTW, has anyone been able to find a pic tonight of the new 4001c64 (not the 4001c64S, which has the shaved down upper horn)? I've been looking all evening and I was hoping there'd be one out on the Rick site by now but no go. I am anxious to hear the pickups on this new bass, because I believe they will be more like the old '70s Ricks
"This is the big one, Elizabeth, I'm coming to join ya, honey!"
lucien_s

Post by lucien_s »

Just thought I'd chime in; glad you guys are saying this, cuz I've been thinking this exact same thing for a while now!
Years ago I had two ricks, a 70's 4001 and a mid 80's 4003s (with the split pickguard, IIRC). The 4003 had a less trebly sound, but was a little fuller on the mids and bottom end, seemed like. The 4001, though, had a brighter sound, closer to the Geddy Lee sound I was after at the time.

And here I was thinking all 400x ricks were created equal - sure enough, my '99 4003 JG has that same less trebly, fuller sound to it too!

BTW, I actually preferred the 4003 sound when playing live, because it seemed to give clearer notes. The 4001 seemed to sound more lively when recording in the studio though.

Just a thought: could the older, thinner 4001 necks be a contributing factor in the sound too, in addition to possibly different pickups?

Doesn't matter much, as I dearly love the new bass already. So much so, I'm still thinking of buying a v63 from a local shop here pretty quick, if I can sell my other two basses. BTW, the v63 horseshoe pickup doesn't strike me as all that clanky either, although it has a hellacious output...
lucien_s

Post by lucien_s »

Oh one more thing. I find the sustain of my new 4003 to actually be a little better than my old 4001, I suspect that's because of the reinforced neck. My 4003s had better sustain too. I use GHS light gauge (.40-.90) roundwounds.

LS
Landonion_the_bass_player

Post by Landonion_the_bass_player »

I remember reading somewhere, and I think it was Mr. Hall of Rickenbacker, and I think in this discussion forum, that the old 4001, 4003 basses also had an extra capacitor (.oo47 mf I think) wired in between the treble tone and volume pots. Thus cutting output and boosting treble giving the bass the gritty treble sound...I think he said also that they removed this capacitor in the early 80's giving the post 70's basses a less trebly sound...I think if you add this capacitor in a new 4003, ect. you can get back that Trebly tone of the old 4001's but the output is very low...
Bassman_4080

Post by Bassman_4080 »

Landonion: (what a name!!) I read that in the Forum here- something about Chris Squire's 4001 not having it hooked up the last time it went back to the factory for a refret- What I'm itching to try is a Badass Bridge on one of my 4001's just to see what happens, although I'm hesitant to go changing things around just for the sake of experiment. From what I gather, it really adds quite a bit of sustain, thereby smoothing out the overall tone without any serious compromises to the top end. In fact, it helps from what I hear. Dunno. Not decided yet. I do have a Badass Bass II lying around here SOMEwhere.....well, we'll see........I know The Great Ged-ster made that change on ALL his Ricks- including the doublenecks......maybe that oughta say something right there.......but I agree that the 4003's DO sound a bit...'off' from the classic 4001 sound...more...'modern', if you will (at least to my ears). I think I'll stick to my guns (as it were)- the 4001's, potential neck problems or not.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi all, first time poster here! Just thought I would share my Ric experience (very limited) with the group, maybe you've had the same experience I've had?

Bought my first Ric in December of 1998, a 1997 4003MG. Brand new, off the wall at my local music store. Love at first sight. Had to have it. Paid $950 plus tax, out the door.

This Ric is 1 of 4 basses that I own, the others being a Hamer USA Cruise 4 2TEK, a Peavey Axcellerator 5, and a CHEAP no-name plywood P-bass copy. My only amp is an older Peavey TNT 130. The Ric is the nicest bass I have EVER owned, as far as looks and construction is concerned (well, the Hamer could give it a run). But nothing really high-dollar, just your average guy kinda stuff I guess. Anyways, about the Ric....

My Ric has treble FOR DAYS anywhere on the neck, at any volume. Finger noise from hell! Upper register positively sings, unmistakeable Ric sound. Not much bottom, though, particularly on the E string. Lots of twangy overtones, too.

For giggles, I picked up a Seymour Duncan replacement neck HB and tried it, to see if the bottom would open up for me. It helped A LITTLE, but what it really did is soup up the top end more than the bottom end. I could feedback my amp from practically any fret above the 7th. Hmmm, too hot for me, back to the stock pickup.

So there the Ric sat, pretty much unused, until I got a good deal on a set of GHS Precision Flats. People, these strings MAKE this bass! What before was a "certain situations" kinda bass has become my "ANY situation" bass! NO twang, good sustain with predictable decay, notes are SOLID, still has the Ric sound, and NO overtones. No more roundwounds for this Ric, ever! If you've never done so, I highly recommend trying some good flats on your Ric too, it really is like a whole 'nother bass.
Headbanger

Post by Headbanger »

I too lose a bit of bottom somewhere. I tried a SD for the bridge and it helped. The best bridge pickup for me is the v63 horseshoe at the moment.
Flats....Nah
(:->
petew4001
Veteran RRF member

Post by petew4001 »

When my 4001 feeds back just enough to get the evil eye from our drummer, I know thats where I want to be. :0)
frank_rodi

Post by frank_rodi »

hey guys,i have three lefty ricks,the 1981 4001 jetglow-reverse headstock always sounded
pretty thin with its stock pick ups so i added two EMG jazz pick ups. it sounds warm when i tweek 800k,turn up the tone knobs and she sounds exactly like the bass on QUEENS RYKE'S album..EMPIRE,jet city woman..etc. the neck is fast at .015 at the 5th fret and the neck never has moved,even after all these years. i know it has the old style truss rods and i know how to work them very well..but can you guys tell me if it has a laminate neck and if it is a PMC model with the reverse head???

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”