360/12 Nameplate

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Paul_Rowley

360/12 Nameplate

Post by Paul_Rowley »

I read a post somewhere about filing or sanding the edges of the nameplate to stop the strings catching on it. What's the best way to do this?

Is there perhaps a different kind of nameplate with bevelled edges which I could order to save messing up the original one. Have the nameplates always been like this?

Cheers

Paul
fatrat

Post by fatrat »

do you mean that its hangin Chad????? Image

Is it hanging off the side of the headstock???
Is it a 4,6, 8, or 12 string guitar... or do you need to scrape a little off the sides???

Im only aware of two Rickenbacker styles of name plates/truss rod covers, in current production, they offer a Vintage Style and a later version with a raised company name...in black and white or white letters and black backing...and a vintage in gold and black and white...
good luck getting one from them without sending your to them....this is one of my pet peaves with the company at the present...
they are under the belief that everyone requesting a plate is going to put it on a copy, I can see that....but theres got to be another way thats fair.....you have to send in your "broken name plate" and send money to get another one...
all they have done is make it hard as hell to find one now and raised the price of used ones, I just sold a vintage plate for 75.00, I didnt want to sell it, but the guy begged me he lived in holland and bought a Townsend style 330 and it was missing the name plate....Rickenbacker wouldnt even send the poor guy a plate so he ended up making me a deal I couldnt refuse....thanks Rickenbacker, your like money in my bank...but now I cant buy any Ricks that need a logo cause I sold my plate!!!!
GOOD luck....

Heres a question for Rickenbacker know it alls....
what does Rickenbacker do with all the plates that come in??? clean them up and put them on new guitars????

FATIOUSRATIOUS
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

The old guitars at least ALL the ones before 1980 that were 12 strings have a slightly different shape .Tomcat....do you have a shot of your 12 string headstock with a view of the bass side of the nameplate?

This is what I'm talking about .

This cut follows the notch in the headstock .Then after sanding the edge square (as it was to begin with) Take a pice of 500 or 600 grit paper and slightly knock off the edge so that when you polish the edge ...the strings slide more easily over it .We used to do this all the time at the plant when I was there in the early 1970's .

I do this to ALL the 12 strings that I continue to see.

Greg Simmons...hows your Carl Wilson I worked on and do the strings snag the nameplate ?
does it look stock?vintage?

Enquiring minds want to know!
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!
fatrat

Post by fatrat »

Mark...
how backed up are you and far are you from Chattynooga TN,
I need a rick 12 bridge cut and a setup on my Rick 36012v64....
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

I am in the Seattle Washington area

How far backed up ...till April
Paul_Rowley

Post by Paul_Rowley »

Thanks for the tips. I found some pics of the two different nameplates on Björn Eriksson's site:
http://www.geocities.com/doublemusic/index.html

The new 360/12 V64 has the old carved out style. The one I have is definitely badly designed. I guess automation and cost cutting back in the eighties is to blame.
terry
Veteran RRF member

Post by terry »

Mark the MD wrote:
Tomcat....do you have a shot of your 12 string headstock with a view of the bass side of the nameplate?

Mark: Click here for a shot of the headstock. Hope this helps.
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

Notice how the bass side scoops at the "ck" in the logo ,and follows the curve of the slot ?

This is what I am talking about .

Plus knocking off the edge just slightly ,on the nameplate and polishing .
Then ,when you install the strings on the tuners that are in the slots,wind the string towards the outside of the headstock .

The windings will put tension on the other windings and press toward the center of the headstock.This also keeps the least amount of string pressure on the nameplate ,there by leaving less pinging to deal with.
There is a whole system for stringing a Rick that work EXTREMELY well .This is just part of it .
terry
Veteran RRF member

Post by terry »

Mark the MD wrote:
Notice how the bass side scoops at the "ck" in the logo and follows the curve of the slot?

Mark: This 360/12C63 headstock photo might better illustrate your point.
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

Well yes that does indeed apear to be the idea ,but the notch is partly covered on the bass side .Again I go back to the old ones .

The scoop is on the "ck".
your shot is on the "en" too far away .

Compare !
terry
Veteran RRF member

Post by terry »

Mark the MD wrote: Compare!

Mark: So are you suggesting that the 360/12C63 headstock nameplate partially obscures or "covers" a portion of the 12-string route or "notch" closest to the nut on the bass side of the headstock??

Image Image
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

YES it does .The plate needs to be trimmed almost to the lettering .and the notch is scooped out at the 'ck' not at the 'n'.

that way it does not cover the 'notch'

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”