News, weather & sports

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

jps
RRF Consultant

The RIAA takes prisoners! Pt. 1

Post by jps »

RIAA OPENS DETENTION FACILITY FOR SUSPECTED FILE SHARERS
Huge Compound Can Handle 3 Million File Sharing Suspects and Their Supporters

Mojave, CA /DenounceNewswire/ -- 25 July 2003 -- Citing lackluster results in its aggressive Subpoena-the-Family campaign, The Recording Industry Assocation of America, or RIAA, announced today it was escalating the war against music file sharing even higher by opening its massive detention facility in the high desert of Movaje, CA. The facility, designed to indefinitely detain up to three million people suspected of illegally or even legally sharing music files on the Internet, consumes 4,000 acres of the desert region some 70 miles north of Los Angeles.

"Our goal is to eliminate the threat these thieves represent to our industry," said RIAA President Cary Sherman. "We don't care if the person is eight, eighteen, or eighty or unaware of the law. If we catch 'em sharing files, we're sending them to jail. Not just any jail. Our jail. We don't even care if they're legally sharing their own personal music files with a family member. We don't care if they're simply transferring their own peronal music from their desktop machine to their iPod. If we catch 'em doing it, we'll be there to take them away. But let me be perfectly clear: even if we don't catch 'em doing it, we'll be there to take them away if we so much as suspect they're sharing files, or might like to one day."

Human rights advocates and the ACLU are criticizing both the RIAA for opening the facilily and the Justice Department for not stepping in to stop the RIAA from proceeding. "What the RIAA is doing is patently unconstitutional," said Anthony Romero, ACLU's Executive Director. "We will not stop until these people are freed and this facility is shut down forever."
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

scuse me while I go download some food from a local restaurant.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Jerry, why not download some diamonds from De Beers while you are at it - they are forever, you know...
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

oops...they caught me and fined me! Imagine the chef of the restaurant wanting me to pay for downloading what he had ceated. Da noive!

Return to “News At 11”