Bubbly finish

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

bubblebobble

Bubbly finish

Post by bubblebobble »

The finish around the tuners (near where the screws go on) on my '92 fireglo 1997 is forming bubbles. I was examining it and I pressed down, and the finish cracked. I didn't unscrew the tuner or do any unusual, and I have ran a humidifier when it was too dry. This just happened recently. Is this something that usually happens? (it's my first ric so I don't know) Or is it some sort of defect?
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

Can you post a photo?

This sounds like an adhesion problem.
If you oil your tuners ...this could be a reason .
It copuld also be the finish material ,
it could be that the wood was sanded too fine and did not give adequate 'bite' for the color and clear to adhere to.
It could be a polish problem ,added with over tightening the tuners.
It could be several other things .Hard to say without looking at it .
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!
FRANK

Post by FRANK »

Im not trying too butt in Mark....but
bubble,
those defects or whatever you would call them look like the kind of weather checks that Ive seen on lots of Ricks, I think this is from the factory putting the Keys on before the finish has had time to cure the impression from the sharp edge of the key causes it to crack when they screw them down....
just my 1 cent...
Im probably wrong......
FRANK M. ROBINSON III
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

That is one other reason and with the changing formulas of 'paint' ,and the EPA telling makers of it what there needs to be in solids in the material (as well as how all finishing materials must work and by a specific date) I'm afraid that more of this from all makers will arise.

Fender has had some problems with this when they used Duco and Acrylic Lucite paint in the 1960's .

The are plenty of refinish jobs done using a non OEM type lacquer and they show this too.

I would call up the factory and ask them about it .Be nice and don't growl ...you will get a lot farther .See what the official word is and let us know .I'm sure we would love to hear what it said.
FRANK

Post by FRANK »

take his word on this, bubble, I had a little falling out with John Hall and I didnt get anywhere...be kind,when you talk to them....
the EPA and all those bura'cats are making it hard for anyone that sprays, its a catch 22, I wouldnt want to live next to a auto body shop either....
I franky would not worry about it, I dont think the finish is going to come off, if it does it will be a mapelgo then, HEE HEE HEE Image ....
I think it just adds to the guitar, but some folks like a real clean guitar....FRANK
Frank_S

Post by Frank_S »

The finish on my 1989 325v59 mapleglo is wearing/flaking off at a pretty bad pace. I use the guitar every day, but once a chip or bubble forms, expect some more flaking/checking/ wear.
Personally, I don't care, it looks great.
bubble

Post by bubble »

Thanks for all the responses
FRANK

Post by FRANK »

one thing that could cause, the finishes to crack.... would be putting too much, Im at a loss for words here...what do you call it????
Mark MD help......anyway it speeds up the cureing of the paint and causes it to dry too fast and when the paint drys it shrinks and then you factor in the weather and humidity.....
I really dont know....but it sounds good????
what do you think Mark the MD ????
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

No ...fast thinners and more catalist do speed up the process,as does heat ,but that is not the problem.The problem is of adhesion.

I would ask the Rickenbacker factory what they think you should do.

What I would do could be different from their response and as they know the properties of their finishing material ...I will say ..ask them.

It may sound like I have no answer ,but I do not want to put words into their "mouth".
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

No ...fast thinners and more catalist do speed up the process,as does heat ,but that is not the problem.The problem is of adhesion.

I would ask the Rickenbacker factory what they think you should do.

What I would do could be different from their response and as they know the properties of their finishing material ...I will say ..ask them.

It may sound like I have no answer ,but I do not want to put words into their "mouth".

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”