Vocal Range

Putting music theory into practice

Vocal Range

Post by 35012 »

Is there any way to change vocal range? Mine isn't particularly suited for the kind of music I do; I have a range of less than an octave normally (only about 5 real notes, and some out of tune flats/sharps) and for some reason about two octaves of in tune notes in falsetto (starting an octave above my lowest normal note). I don't want to be reduced to singing soprano harmony parts exclusively... I'm assuming with more practice and more air flowing through my vocal cords, range can change. Am I right?
longhouse
Advanced Member

Post by longhouse »

I am certainly no gifted singer -but I know several. And all of them have told me to TAKE LESSONS. Voice lessons can open up the world for you, or so I'm told. I haven't done it yet. And it shows. Image

Best of luck.
Shaking the floor of Heaven
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

I did take voice lessons. Best money I ever spent. Do it.

JimK
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

When I was in college and even cockier than I am now, I took some voice lessons, and learned much more than I expected I would. Even if you have someone trying to teach you operatic style ("No, Mrs. G, I play guitar and play rock and roll"), you will still learn cool stuff about the physical aspect of how various parts of the body work together (ideally) to create a nice tone.

I always recommend contacting the music departments of local colleges to find a teacher. They often have advanced students they recommend for this, who will have the benefit of at least 2 or 3 years of their schooling behind them (that's info they can teach YOU) and will be happy to make a few bucks too.
lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

Post by lyle_from_minneapolis »

Seconded, thirded and fourthed. And I will add that, yes, you do have a wider range than 5 notes. Without a doubt. But you'll need someone to show you how to do it, and there are plenty of college students majoring in music who would be greatly relieved by an offer of hourly pay for voice lessons. A note on a bulletin board in the music department of the nearest college should do the trick.

And I'm willing to bet your range is better than five notes when you're alone in your car, singing without anyone else hearing/judging you. I'm going to take a shot in the dark and guess that you sing quietly, maybe about as loudly as you speak? That would account for a narrow range in normal voice with a wider range in falsetto. Just a guess, but a little volume can open you right up and widen your range.
Here is where I hide my music:
http://www.soundclick.com/MarkKaufman

Post by 35012 »

I assumed as much as far as volume goes, although lessons probably would help too.

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”