Got any YES ticket stubs? Let's show 'em off....

The genius of Chris Squire
elysrand
Advanced Member

Got any YES ticket stubs? Let's show 'em off....

Post by elysrand »

This thread is for posting your ticket stubs - ONE AT A TIME - for any YES concerts you have ever attended. It would be bad form to post a single message with thirty different stubs and no text, for example. The stubs can also be for any concert that a YES member has played, meaning the various forms of YES members' groups over the years. They don't even have to be your specific ticket stub, they can be someone else's - as long as you really attended that same concert yourself.

Along with the ticket stub, write up anything you can remember about that particular concert, such as the lineup, any other acts that same night - openers, guests, cool stuff that Jon or Chris or someone else said between songs, even the song list if you can remember.

If it was too close to the Medicated Sixties and can't remember even being there, much less where your stub is, then just ask someone else who went to tell you if you had a good time there that night, and to loan you their ticket stub for a quick scan Image
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, and sit in with the band whenever you can, to keep your chops up!
elysrand
Advanced Member

Post by elysrand »

OK, here is the stub for the YES concert I attended in 1977 for the Going For The One tour. This is the one where I also wangled a hangey-tag backstage pass halfway through the show from our promo rep from the studio I did session work for, went backstage after the show, and wound up meeting Chris Squire (and Donovan Leitch too!) and going out for a bit to eat with them. When I find that backstage pass, I will post it too, but alas I haven't even seen which pile of boxes it might be in for about twenty years.

Donovan Leitch opened up, doing all his stuff like Atlantis, Hurdy Gurdy Man, Lalena, Sunshine Superman, Mellow Yellow, and a really nice version of Intergalactic Laxative, among others. He had a great time and gave a wonderful performance. He and Jon did some yoga things backstage too afterwards for awhile Image

Then YES came out, with Chris down stage left, and Rick off farther to the right and back up stage left. Alan was in the center upstage of course, with Jon right in front of him on the carpet with the hangey things on his mic stand, and Steve set up stage right with an impressive number of guitars. Rick had his usual massive stacks of keyboards and played them mostly with his eyes totally closed most of the time, wow. I was maybe twenty feet away from Chris the whole time, right directly in front of him, so I spent a lot of time staring at the fretboard and learning his fingerings on riffs I had been practicing ever since the album came out that summer.

They had awesome projection film graphics and lights, and opened with Parallels - with Rick starting the classic opening and the rest of the band coming out onto stage one by one to thunderous applause and screaming (mostly from me of course! Image ) in what must have been nearly a 95% packed 10,000 person coliseum.

Some of the cooler tunes that I remember they did were Close To The Edge, Awaken, Roundabout of course, and the finale was Starship Trooper. By that time, Chris's tremelo and the phase shifter on Steve's guitars was making my head spin in such a nice fashion. Might have been second-hand smoke from behind me too, I dunno. I don't smoke, never have, so it couldn't have been MY fault Image

We got lucky they even returned a second time to Jackson - the previous year I attended the solo album tour in Jackson and this year they were supposed to do the Oct 08 1977 show in Shreveport LA, but they changed the date at the last minute (relatively speaking) and I didn't have to drive to New Orleans after all Image
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, and sit in with the band whenever you can, to keep your chops up!
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

Heres a few that I could locate, I have several others, the best being the "symphonic" tour a few years back at the fraze pavillion in Dayton. Beautiful show, outdoors, they did all the old cool epic stuff, opened with "close to the edge".

The button is from May 4th 1991 during the "Union" tour, they did a show for local radio station WTUE's 15th anniversary.
"Knowledge is Power"
relayer4u
Intermediate Member

Post by relayer4u »

Here you go then:

And here is what I wrote about the show on YesFans.com (sorry, this is a long one!):

Let me tell you I was not disappointed!

The excitement began to build as soon as Linda and I found each other at Sky Harbor Airport. The telling of Linda and Jesse's past two nights adventures coupled with their subsequent plane ride experience had a supercharging effect on me!

After we made the trip via pink stuff truck to Mesa, we arrived at the Marriott Mesa to see the Dream Theater tour bus parked out front! I went in and registered while Linda was out parking and once she came inside we decided to have a seat to discuss the evening's mode of attack. While we were planning in the lobby members of Dream Theater are pointed out to me and Alan White walks up to the front desk to ask some kind of question of the staff. Linda and I agree that I am obviously booked at the same hotel as both of the bands...sweet!

We agreed to meet up at a restaurant very close by the venue around 3:30 or so and there was a small turn out of folks, all dedicated Yes people for sure though!

On to the show!

The Mesa amphitheater is a very appealing concert location to be sure. The 6 PM start ended up providing for some good shadows for the fans, but I would guess not enough for the Dream Theater boys. Temps were in the low 100s, I believe, and I was sweaty before the show even started. People were milling about so I checked out my own seat, but as soon as I saw the speaker stack directly in my face, I decided I would try and sit near Linda and Jesse once DT started to play. Let me tell you first that I love metal music as well as prog, so Dream Theater fits for me just right. They ripped it up for their hour of stage time, and I thought that the songs they chose were almost perfect for the Yes majority to have a good taste of what they can do.

Onto the YES show!

As this is getting written after the Los Angeles area show, my comments on Yes will be kinda distorted. To describe it as workman like would not be fair, way better than that, again I am writing with hindsight. The sound system and mix did not compare favorably with the Universal Amphitheater imho.

Still it was a strong performance as a 2nd show on back to back nights. They still give all they can, every night, after 36 years on the road. The fans filled the seats much better once the Firebird began, so I ended up in the back of the center reserved section, in front of the soundboard. Another great show in a list of many for me.

After the show!

Walked back to my room to put on a dry shirt (did I mention the sweat? lol) and headed downstairs looking for a beer. The lobby bar looked like a joke so I went out the front door and spied a sports bar just across the narrow street. Eureka! Parked at the bar and asked for a Bud in a bottle and got told Bud on draft only, so Heineken it was! Drank a couple and watched ESPN for a bit and people watched. The bar was due to close at 11 PM. Attendance was small: a group of jocks that split soon after I arrived and a group of 3 couples that seemed to be friends with the barkeep. The front door got locked at 11, but I assume because his friends were still in a party mood, I was allowed to stay as well. The phone rang not much later and the bartender had a short talk with someone. He told the friends party that he had a group coming over from the hotel.

I knew who it was.

So in walks Chris Squire and friends.

JOY!

Mr. barman goes over to take their order and returns to the bar. I tell him that I'm paying for the first round for that new party. He says alrighty then. After the drinks get delivered, Chris doesn't even wave at me.

Instead he gets up and comes over to where I'm sitting!

All Right!

And so, Chris Squire himself appears to my right, he thanks me for the drinks and asks me if I would like to join him at his table.

I am a dork.
I told him no.

My line was like I just wanted to thank you for all that you have given me and I think you deserve to have your privacy.

I think that line turned out to be for my benefit. Chris made the effort to come over and chat with me 4 or 5 more times that evening, one on one. We talked about the acoustic set and Conspiracy and his motivation (he loves when he plays! Most of us already know that one!). I don't think the details of what was said are for me to post. I really do want the band to have whatever privacy they can get.

I send out my thanks to Chris, for making the effort to spend time with me, a simple fan. It meant so much to me, to have him listen and comment on my own thoughts. A night I will cherish!

Mesa Magic!
elysrand
Advanced Member

Post by elysrand »

Wow - excellent writeup, Ray, and most of us only imagine or dream of just "happening" to stay at the same hotel and getting to visit with Chris Squire afterwards like that Image And you bought the high-price tickets - the lawn seats were only $40 but then you would have had no shade and couldn't have seen much Image Since you didn't post the song lineup for that show, please forgive me if I went and dug it out of my records and added it here:

Firebird Suite
Going For The One
Sweet Dreams
I've Seen All Good People
America
South Side Of The Sky
Yours Is No Disgrace
Clap
Long Distance Runaround
Wonderous Stories
Roundabout
Owner Of A Lonely Heart
And You And I
Awaken
Starship Trooper

('Every Little Thing' was dropped that night)

That night, the venue was not full, and besides Mesa was not used to YES being in town - this was the only time that YES ever played Mesa, but most of the crowd was hoping and chanting for "Close To The Edge after the, or at least Ritual, after YES concluded the set with "Awaken". But they weren't dissatisfied at all when YES obliged with the encore being "Starship Trooper"

The band lineup for that Mesa Amphitheatre concert was, as usual: Jon Anderson, Steve Howe, Chris Squire, Rick Wakeman, Alan White
relayer4u
Intermediate Member

Post by relayer4u »

What I forgot to mention is the rave up instrumental version of Machine Messiah that Dream Theater included in their set!

An awesome memory...
mrs_brown
Intermediate Member

Post by mrs_brown »

you were not a dork you were very respectful.. That must have taken a lot of will power. Excellent choice. Great reading too!!
May you always work like you don't need money;
May you always love like you've never been hurt;
and may you always dance like there's nobody watching.
Jack Canfield
byu
Intermediate Member

Post by byu »

This is my backstage pass for the Drama tour. I worked at Flip Side records which was a promoter of the concert. It was at the Amphitheater in Chicago. I had seen the previous 3 tours but this was the first that I got back stage. I remember the show not being completely sold out like the last tours. Trevor Horn missed some of the high notes but did a respectable job on most the material and I remember really enjoying the show.

Backstage, after the show, I drank beer and waited to get Chris' autograph. While standing in line to get a glimpse of any band member I got into a conversation with my friend. While talking to him, Chris & Steve came out of a room and walked behind me and down a corridor. After they had passed, my friend nonchalantly says "Oh, by the way, there goes Chris Squire". I whipped around to see Chris & Steve turning a corner and yelled "CHRIS!--Autograph" but he never turned around. I tried to go after them but some mean assed old lady stuck her arm up in front of me and told me I couldn't follow. I finally met the band around 2002.
oldgeezer54

Post by oldgeezer54 »

I don't have my ticket stubs, but I still have my programs from 74, 75, 76, 77, 78 & 79. The best seats were June 21, 1975 at the Hollywood Bowl. Box seats right in front of Chris. Cost me a whopping $4.50 back then.
elysrand
Advanced Member

Post by elysrand »

Wow, welcome to the Forum and thanks for making this your first post Image

Sounds like you had great seats for the Relayer Tour!! It doesn't get any better than sitting right in front of Chris, especially if you are a bass player and have good eyesight to follow his fingerings to see how it is done. Some said that Patrick Moraz was better than Wakeman had been that night, too. Did the ticket look like this, Rick? Image :

hieronymous
Intermediate Member

Post by hieronymous »

Something a little different:

I lived in Japan during junior high & high school, and went to an international school. I got into Yes around junior or senior year - found some import LPs of Close to the Edge and Fragile on sale and got hooked. So I discovered that Yes were going to play and I got off the school bus near the ticket outlet and got pretty mediocre seats. It was at the Yoyogi Olympic Stadium in Tokyo, where the Olympics were held in the '60s (I think). I also saw Pink Floyd there on the Momentary Lapse of Reason tour. I had a 10th row ticket for that one and traded it for two balcony seats so I could take a girl I liked. That's another story, but suffice it to say nothing happened and I should have kept the 10th row seat!

Anyway, I remember the concert being pretty good. It was the Big Generator tour, so Trevor Rabin, John Anderson, Chris Squire, Alan White, and Tony Kaye. I only remember some of the songs they played (I haven't thought about this concert in a long time!) - "Fragile," "Big Generator" - OK, actually I can't really remember.

The only part that sticks out in my mind was that they played "Starship Trooper" and I have a distinct memory of Chris Squire playing his Rickenbacker on that one, and that the jam at the end was impressive. Well, no, the more I think about it, I remember Trevor Rabin playing a guitar solo. But the only distinct memory I have of Chris Squire is during "Wurm".

Sorry this one is so fragmentary - I definitely resonate more with the earlier Yes stuff, at least through Drama. I just thought the Japanese ticket might be cool to see.
elysrand
Advanced Member

Post by elysrand »

Wow, cool ticket, Harry! YES actually played three dates at the Yoyogi Olympic Pool, and yours was the third night, Thursday 4/7/88 as the face of the ticket shows. The other dates were 4/4/88 and 4/6/88.

Here is the actual song list for this concert, listed in the order in which it was actually played:

Rhythm Of Love
Hold On
Heart Of The Sunrise
Changes
Big Generator
Shoot High Aim Low
Holy Lamb
Kaye Solo
Solly's Beard
Make It Easy/Owner Of A Lonely Heart
Yours Is No Disgrace
Donguri Koro Koro
Nous Sommes Du Solei
Amazing Grace
And You And I
Wurm
Love Will Find A Way
I've Seen All Good People
Roundabout

('Soon' was dropped that night due to time constraints, it was performed the other two dates between Amazing Grace and And You And I, they also reversed tha order for Big Generator and Changes, compared the the 4th)

There was a "bootleg" audience recording made that night that was 135 minutes in length.

Altogether, YES spent 9 days in Japan at the end of that tour. After those first three dates in Tokyo, they did a date in Yokohama, one in Nagoya, and a final two in Osaka, before officially ending the tour and returning to the UK for a few months down time and studio time working on further projects.

Yours is the first ticket stub I have ever seen for any of the Tokyo dates! The only other two that have been out there before now are for the two Osaka dates, so you indeed have a rarity there!! Image:

ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

I've searched high and low, and I'll be darned, I can't find ANY of my stubs...except for John Denver that is! Image

I KNOW I have some from MSG & Nassau Coliseum. I've been to every show from 1977/78 until Jones Beach in 2000 I believe.
"Freedom of expression is important, but I have learned that people want to know how much you care before they care how much you know."
The only time a bass player gets noticed is when he stops playing.
hieronymous
Intermediate Member

Post by hieronymous »

Elys - thanks for posting that setlist. I remember some of it now - "Shoot High Aim Low," "Changes" - but there's a lot I don't remember too. Either I wasn't familiar with the songs at the time, like "Nous Sommes Du Solei" or I just don't remember, like the Japanese song.

I thought that they played the entire "Starship Trooper" because I seem to have a memory of Trevor Rabin playing the acoustic part in the middle, but actually I think I remember him saying in an interview that that section was really hard to play, and I felt ripped off that they didn't play it! I do remember him playing the intro to "Roundabout" but I don't remember if he did it on acoustic or electric.

Anyway, cool threads you've started, your knowledge is amazing, it's like the Yes version of "Deadbase"...
oldgeezer54

Post by oldgeezer54 »

Elys, that would be the ticket. Also attended some shows in the 80's as well. My most recent Yes show was with my son at the Universal (or is it Gibson) Amphitheater back on 9/19/2004.

(Thanks for the welcome)

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”