Non-Rickenbacker Guitars & Effects

Moderator: jingle_jangle

cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Carvin Icon

Post by cheyenne »

My wife ordered this for my birthday. :D
Icon.jpg
Not bad eh??? Carvin ICONP 4, deep triple step dragonburst finish with flame maple top. A very, very nice playing and sounding bass. Balance is great, lightweight,, 18 volt active/passive electronics.

Im thinking of ordering a 5 string.
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Re: Carvin Icon

Post by cheyenne »

Oh well,,,,Im happy anyway... :?
jaybic

Post by jaybic »

It looks to be a real stunner Scott. I frequently stare at Carvin's webpage...just never pulled the trigger on one.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Looks like you've got two keepers there, Scott. What a wonderful thing for your wife to do! Please post more impressions of the Icon when you get the chance.
alanz
Intermediate Member

Post by alanz »

Carvins are nice guitars. We have a Carvin thread here every once in a while and in fact had one just the other day; don't be sad that we didn't jump into this one as quickly as we jump into others.

They make good stuff, it is highly customizable and the factory is in Escondido, in north San Diego county, California.
rickaddict

Post by rickaddict »

Yeah, they do make good stuff. My bro bought a big-honkin' all-tube full stack about 25 years ago from them that's still going strong. Never needed any servicing. Sounds great, too.

I bought a little practice amp around 5 years ago that's pretty good for what it is. Durable, easy to carry etc. But a lot of the wiring isn't soldered, so every now and then I need to take it apart and jiggle all of the wires to make it work right again. I'm not as impressed obviously.

The guitars always looked very well made to me. I was tempted to buy one as a back up to my Rick (back when I didn't have any money to do that, so I never did!) But I did finally get out there to their retail store once about 9 years ago and played a couple basses. And they are very well-made.

Congrats on the new bass. Sure is purdy! Happy birthday too, while I'm at it!
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Not really my type of guitar Scott, but that top is pretty unbeliveable! Also never seen a burst like that before, it's very cool. Enjoy it!
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

Very nice bass indeed.

This model has volume (push/active, pull/passive), pickup pan, concentric bass / treble cut/boost, a mid frequency knob with a cut /boost. It also features piezo electronics, which is essentially a pickup under each bridge saddle that can be blended with yet another knob. There are also little trim pots in the control cavity to adjust the level of each individual string.

Sounds like alot, but it is layed out very simple, and is easy to use. I can get a lotta different tones out of this beast, and feel I've just scratched the surface. The neck is very nice and adjust's very easily. Lightweight. Came with a vintage looking tweed case. I think she payed right at $1300.00

I know alot of you are die hard Rick fans, ( myself included ) but for the money this is about as nice as it gets for a custom instrument built to your taste.

If you've ever been on the fence to try one of these, I would have to highly recommend them.

Return to “Forum 51 - The Quest For Tone: by Mike Snow”