Martin guitars.

Non-Rickenbacker Guitars & Effects

Moderator: jingle_jangle

kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Martin guitars.

Post by kennyhowes »

Who here is a fan of the Martins? Holla.

I had a '51 00-17 for the longest time, and am now thinking about a D15-S. Most of the Martins I've played have been absolutely wonderful, with a few scarce exceptions.

Speak now!
jimk
RRF Consultant

Re: Martin guitars.

Post by jimk »

I'm a Martin fan, especially the J16. I think that's the one the guitar player in our string band plays. Great sounding guitar.

JimK
Advanced Member

Post by 1965 »

I really dig mine, OM-28V

Scastles

Post by Scastles »

Big time fan. I've got a 28 and a 35. I haven't found an acoustic yet to match the sound. My only complaint, though minor, is the action can run a little high for my taste.

My D-35
Attachments
martin 002.JPG
marc61

Post by marc61 »

I had a d28(I think) for the longest time. Loved it, but sold it as a down payment on a Rickenbacker/Paul W acoustic. It definitely held it's value at time of resale.
octagon

Post by octagon »

I have a Martin but it is really small and only has 4 strings.

antipodean

Post by antipodean »

octagon wrote:I have a Martin but it is really small and only has 4 strings.

I like that one Mitch! Goes perfectly with the avatar.

I have a D35 and it's brilliant, but I seem to play acoustic less and less as time goes by.
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
Advanced Member

Post by 1965 »

buzfluhart wrote:Big time fan. I've got a 28 and a 35. I haven't found an acoustic yet to match the sound. My only complaint, though minor, is the action can run a little high for my taste.
They all come with high action and unfinished bridges, then the player can decide what to do. I got the bridge on mine slotted and ramped, so now it uses ivory, solid pins (not grooved) and the pins now sit flush as well.
blueflamerick
Advanced Member

Post by blueflamerick »

I've always had a thing for Martins, especially since they're made in my home town. A few of my friends work there. I have an EB-18 electric bass and this acoustic:
Tattoo_f.jpg
gellkeller
Intermediate Member

Post by gellkeller »

I'm looking at a 000-28 but haven't got my grimeys on one as yet. Anybody had a chance to caress one?
Scastles

Post by Scastles »

1965 wrote:
buzfluhart wrote:Big time fan. I've got a 28 and a 35. I haven't found an acoustic yet to match the sound. My only complaint, though minor, is the action can run a little high for my taste.
They all come with high action and unfinished bridges, then the player can decide what to do. I got the bridge on mine slotted and ramped, so now it uses ivory, solid pins (not grooved) and the pins now sit flush as well.

Yeah, I've considered re-doing the saddles, but hadn't considered the non-grooved pins. Thanks for the idea, Wes
brianeharmonjr
Intermediate Member

Post by brianeharmonjr »

Kenny, too bad you didn't post this a few days ago. The shop I work at had a used D-15S with a pickup installed for about 15 minutes before it sold. Didn't even get a chance to put a price tag on it. I'm not much of an acoustic guy, but it was a pretty sweet axe.
frickengruvin

Post by frickengruvin »

I've got a d35s and a Shenandoah. The D35s is a cannon, the Shenandoah is sweet too. Martins are awesome!
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Still kick myself for not buying a D-28 back in '75 when my friend did - $450. :roll:
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

brianeharmonjr wrote:Kenny, too bad you didn't post this a few days ago. The shop I work at had a used D-15S with a pickup installed for about 15 minutes before it sold. Didn't even get a chance to put a price tag on it. I'm not much of an acoustic guy, but it was a pretty sweet axe.
Aw man!!!

Between that and the two '67 360/12 OS guitars I missed (see related thread), I'm feelin' like a dope.

Return to “Forum 51 - The Quest For Tone: by Mike Snow”