My amp blew a fuse again...What's going on?

Let's talk guitar amplfiers

Moderator: jingle_jangle

JakeK
RRF Consultant

My amp blew a fuse again...What's going on?

Post by JakeK »

Ok, so I was playing my 1997SPC through my Deluxe Reverb, like every day, and the amp stops working altogether. I took the fuse out the back, and lo and behold, it's blown up again. I was playing the amp at 1 or 2, so something must be wrong with this amp. Should I try exchanging it for a new amp completely?
collin

Re: My amp blew a fuse again...What's going on?

Post by collin »

nah, don't replace it (unless it's still under warranty). Even then--they will fix before they replace.

I'd take it to an amp tech if it's not under warranty. The same thing was happening with my Blues Deville, and I can't remember exactly what caused it, but I had to play gigs with a pocketful of fuses.....not fun. :oops:
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

What's the warranty situation, Jake? You might be able to have them service it for free. Collin's right, they probably won't just give you a new one.
All I wanna do is rock!
Scastles

Post by Scastles »

Yeah, if you're still under warranty, it's the retailers problem, Jake. Could be a circuit problem, or could have a faulty tube.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Music is too important to be left to professionals.
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

Yep, still under warranty. Talked to IVG today, they'll look at it tomorrow.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

From what I have read elsewhere, I think FMIC replaces rather than repairs when under warranty.
collin

Post by collin »

jps wrote:From what I have read elsewhere, I think FMIC replaces rather than repairs when under warranty.
True....I didn't really take the fact that we're talking Fender into the equation. They are the biggest damn musical instrument manufacturer in the world, by far....with a corporate mentality to boot, so replacing an item isn't a huge deal.

In any case, it sounds like you are covered, nice!

I wish my Blues Deville had a warranty when I got it. I love Fender amps, think they sound great and are usually reliable....but I've had problem after problem with my 4x10 BD.
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

Could be a dodgy fuse, Jake.... it happens.
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon
fuzzysi

Post by fuzzysi »

for all problems fender deluxe/deville related check out this website...

http://studentweb.eku.edu/justin_holton/
4001CS, Stingray, SVT classic through 810E/410HLF/V-4B/SVT50DL
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

Its probably a bad rectifier tube or power tube. The tubes they supply with them these days are a bit lousy, and you can improve your sound and reliability by changing to quality tubes. JJ and Tung-Sol reissue are some good 6V6's although the JJ sound a bit more like 6L6GC's than a vintage 6V6. JJ 6V6's in a Deluxe Reverb sound and work really well. Just make sure to rebias the amp when changing to a different power tube or rectifier tube.

greg
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

soundmasterg wrote:Its probably a bad rectifier tube or power tube. The tubes they supply with them these days are a bit lousy, and you can improve your sound and reliability by changing to quality tubes.
That is exactly what IVG told me when they called. I'm picking it up tomorrow from their store. You know your stuff, Greg.

I saw Don Butler can mod reissue Fender amps to original specs. Should I think about modding my amp, or should I leave it as is?
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

I'd leave the amp alone until it actually needs non-warranty work, as in when the caps start to go, which will be awhile yet. I have a couple of RI Fenders (Twin Rev and Super Rev) and they both sound great as is.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

paologregorio wrote:I'd leave the amp alone until it actually needs non-warranty work, as in when the caps start to go, which will be awhile yet. I have a couple of RI Fenders (Twin Rev and Super Rev) and they both sound great as is.
+1, at least until it is out of warranty.
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

Your amp has the same circuit as original specs. If you wanted to mod it to be like an original as far as hand wiring instead of the PCB and what not, it would be cheaper to sell yours and just buy a vintage blackface. Personally I'd just leave it as is.

Greg
Ric-O-Buc

Post by Ric-O-Buc »

JakeK wrote:
soundmasterg wrote:Its probably a bad rectifier tube or power tube. The tubes they supply with them these days are a bit lousy, and you can improve your sound and reliability by changing to quality tubes.
That is exactly what IVG told me when they called. I'm picking it up tomorrow from their store. You know your stuff, Greg.

I saw Don Butler can mod reissue Fender amps to original specs. Should I think about modding my amp, or should I leave it as is?

The best thing you can do for that amp is a full retube with JJ's from Bob at Eurotubes, and a Weber 12F150 speaker to replace the stock one. You won't believe how this opens up the sound of that amp.

Return to “Greg's Amplifier and Tube Tech Forum: by Greg Simon”