US V UK 5

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
royclough
RRF Consultant

US V UK 5

Post by royclough »

OK encouraged by last one so hope you all take part again.

In 1961 The Drifters took this song to number 14 in US. It did nothing in UK

Six years later a Liverpool group The Crying Shames had a number 26 with the song, but for some it remains a classic, others hated it.

Your choice

JeffZ

Re: US V UK 5

Post by JeffZ »

I like the Cryin' Shames version here, mainly due to Joe Meek's production. There's a strange tonal color to the organ that is very striking.
harley

Post by harley »

The Drifters version is good but not much of a departure from their usual approach. The Cryin' Shames version is more interesting from a delivery and production standpoint. Make mine the UK side on this one! ;)
nick_allen
Veteran RRF member

Post by nick_allen »

This is rather like apples and oranges...
As mentioned above, the Drifters' version is in their classic doowop style; the Cryin' Shames is a typical UK pop production. The basic song (tune and words) may be the same, but it's (almost) like asking do you prefer the Byrds' version of We'll Meet Again, or Vera Lynn's? the Beatles' version of Hard Day's Night or Peter Sellers'? :roll: OK, I'm exaggerating, but the principle is the same - essentially, it's a question of which style you prefer.
Having said all that, I'll vote for the Drifters, simply because I don't care for the singer's voice on the other version.
longhouse
Advanced Member

Post by longhouse »

In the history of modern music the Drifters are icons while the C Shames are but footnotes.

BUT ...in this contest I have to give it to the Brits!

Cryin Shames take the gold.
scotty

Post by scotty »

I really wanted to go with the Crying Shames but it was like a bad dream i need to go with The Drifters on this one Roy.
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

harley wrote:The Drifters version is good but not much of a departure from their usual approach. The Cryin' Shames version is more interesting from a delivery and production standpoint. Make mine the UK side on this one! ;)
+1, I agree with this. 8)
All I wanna do is rock!
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Don't like either, but dislike the Drifters' version a little less so they get my vote.
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
chriscurtisfan

Post by chriscurtisfan »

Here, too -- neither does much for me. However, if forced to listen, it would be the Cryin Shames! Maybe it's the quality of the video for the CS's and I never heard it before till a minute ago. Still, it is better than Drifters. :?
Dedicated to the best Drummer on Planet Earth (RIP) http://www.youtube.com/user/ChrisCurtisFan
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Crying Shames took the accolade on this one thanks to everyone who took time to vote some good observations

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”