Ric Dealer that knows how to setup what they sell you

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

MyBBruce

Ric Dealer that knows how to setup what they sell you

Post by MyBBruce »

Any suggestions in the USA ..I've bought 2 new Rickenbackers. One was setup awesome. Ready to play out of the box..Unfortunately that dealer isn't around anymore.

My second Rick although they swore they set it up..It was terrible. They tried to blame it on the whether. If that were true every time you played a Winter gig you'd have to set-up your guitar again..

I've been looking at Pic of the Ric and Music Zoo as of late. It's a 620 I want to get. Where's a place to go..

Also anyone know if Musiciansfriend Ric are of the same quality. I've seen comments to the contrary.
Rickenbacker 350V63 325C64 Jetglo Ric 620 FG Fender Masterbuilt Tele, LaCabronita , Crook Pink Paisley Relic, Lentz DB HSL, Martin 000-18

Dr Z Zwreck Dr Z Maz 18 NR Vox AC15 HW
Grey
Advanced Member

Re: Ric Dealer that knows how to setup what they sell you

Post by Grey »

MyBBruce wrote:If that were true every time you played a Winter gig you'd have to set-up your guitar again..
Uh, that's really not that far from the truth.
rickyfricky
Intermediate Member

Post by rickyfricky »

Hey Bruce,

I have yet to hear anyone say a bad word about Pick of the Ricks.
I've had limited dealings there with good results.

Where are you located?
Watch those teeth, Marlin. I'm not sure we've properly sedated the beast . . .
eatswodo
Veteran RRF member

Post by eatswodo »

MyBBruce wrote: Also anyone know if Musiciansfriend Ric are of the same quality. I've seen comments to the contrary.
Rickenbackers from Musician's Friend are the same as those from any other authorized dealer. They don't do any setup work on them, however - they're shipped exactly as they arrived from the factory.
craigh

Post by craigh »

I've only dealt with Pick Of The Ricks at a guitar show. Seem like good people to deal with. I just had my new 4003 bass set up at Robbies Music in Wayne, NJ. George did a great job. Soon I will have him properly set up my 360/12.

Craig
rickyfricky
Intermediate Member

Post by rickyfricky »

If you are anywhere near the Boston area, I give Mouradian Guitar in Winchester MA my highest recommendation.

Both Jim Mouradian and Jon Mouradian have worked on most of my basses, and many of my bandmates' acoustic and electric guitars, and their work is TOPNOTCH.

Call in advance as there is usually a queue of a few weeks.
Watch those teeth, Marlin. I'm not sure we've properly sedated the beast . . .
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

You can't go wrong with Pick of the Ricks.
Ka is a wheel.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

POTR is a no-brainer for long timers here, definitely the most popular dealer amongst RRFers it seems. I have dealt with Chris for about 10 years now and he is always right on. he also does amazing setups, etc.
MyBBruce

Post by MyBBruce »

rickyfricky wrote:Hey Bruce,

I have yet to hear anyone say a bad word about Pick of the Ricks.
I've had limited dealings there with good results.

Where are you located?
I live in Michigan area. I have bought a few amps from Chris -Plus he gave me an awesome deal on used Toasters that looked Brand New. Has anyone Dealt with Music Zoo??
Rickenbacker 350V63 325C64 Jetglo Ric 620 FG Fender Masterbuilt Tele, LaCabronita , Crook Pink Paisley Relic, Lentz DB HSL, Martin 000-18

MyBBruce

Post by MyBBruce »

Spike- wrote:
MyBBruce wrote:If that were true every time you played a Winter gig you'd have to set-up your guitar again..
Uh, that's really not that far from the truth.
The point is that it wasn't the truth. They never touched the guitar. I just wouldn't buy from them again unless it was a giveaway price. There are several Dealers that sell Ricks that really don't agree with or understand the no-relief board setup. IMO they don't play right until you get them set up flattttttttttt

MyBBruce

Post by MyBBruce »

eatswodo wrote:
MyBBruce wrote: Also anyone know if Musiciansfriend Ric are of the same quality. I've seen comments to the contrary.
Rickenbackers from Musician's Friend are the same as those from any other authorized dealer. They don't do any setup work on them, however - they're shipped exactly as they arrived from the factory.
So I take it the price they quote is the going rate??

cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Well, it's MF's going rate. There are dealers who will actually deal and may sell you one for less than MF. It pays to check around and ask for a deal...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
nukebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by nukebass »

Rickenbacker sets the guitars up at the factory, too, but shipping to the dealer, sometimes across country and through frigid climates and varying humidities, impacts the setup. The dealer may set it up perfectly, but shipping to another location may require another setup adjustment upon arrival. The only guaranteed way to have a "stable" setup is to buy locally and have it setup at the point of purchase.

The one I bought from Musiciansfriend had a great setup out of the box (I returned it for different reasons).
eljayski

Post by eljayski »

willcutts is good, too. two purchases, two great experiences.
330/12 fg
360/6 fg
381/6 fg
4003 mg
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

cjj wrote:Well, it's MF's going rate. There are dealers who will actually deal and may sell you one for less than MF. It pays to check around and ask for a deal...
Hi, My two best recent guitar deals have been from MF (a Rick 360/12 FG and a Taylor solidbody custom - walnut). Both guitars were priced way lower than anyplace else I could find. Both guitars look and play beautifully. MF customer service has been great, also. YMMV. Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”