Jim K. and Roger

Those who flock to The Byrds
Folkie
Advanced Member

Jim K. and Roger

Post by Folkie »

JimK,

I just had a look at that photo of you and your 360/12 at the 2009 Americana Music Academy's Christmas Show. You're looking pretty stylish in the McGuinn hat and glasses. Next thing you'll have to grow a goatee!

Do you use metal fingerpicks when you play 12-string live? And what amp is that behind you onstage? (I can't see it in the picture.)

Robert
Folkie
Advanced Member

Re: Jim K. and Roger

Post by Folkie »

Jim,

I guess I asked about the metal fingerpicks because my Dunlop metal picks create a lot of extraneous noise when I use them with my 330/12. They also tend to knock the high unison strings out of tune. But on my Alvarez acoustic 12 I don't have any of those problems with fingerpicks.

Robert
0018g

Post by 0018g »

I'm currently trying to master the fingerpick thing myself. I've played banjo since I was a kid, and I can't get any speed or make much sound on a five string without picks. I have a terrible time with them on guitar, however. I've tried to emulate Bob Gibson's finger picking on the acoustic 12 string, but no dice. I admire those who can.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Robert: Yes, I do use metal fingerpicks. I have been using them since the early '70s. So I'm pretty accustomed to them.

The amp pictured is a MusicMan 110 RD-Fifty. I still use this amp in conjunction with my Vox AC15C1. The bridge pickup goes to the Vox, and the neck pickup goes to the MusicMan.

About the use of fingerpicks; I go through the bin at Mass St. Music here in Lawrence, and look for the right gauges. The lighter ones, about .013 or so, I use for playing the Rick. Heavier ones I use for playing my acoustic guitars.

I remember the long wait for the Rick practicing using a fingerpick on my middle and ring fingers, something I had been unaccustomed to doing before. Going very slowly playing a simple pattern of alternating flatpick strokes, and finger picked notes. I had McGuinn's DVD of course to help me out there demonstrating the pattern. But it was a pattern I had been used to using anyhow, just moved over slightly. It's easier to demonstrate in person than it is to describe it on the forum.
Attachments
MusicMan RD-Fifty-110
MusicMan RD-Fifty-110

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”