Lead Guitar Shift

Answers to your questions about The Searchers
JeffZ

Lead Guitar Shift

Post by JeffZ »

On the The Searchers' web site, Frank Allen posts a news letter for fans (usually about 4-5 times during the year). In the one he just put up, he goes into some detail about the switch on lead guitar from Mike to John; I'm not sure if the bitterness of Mike's departure might be coloring his recollections a bit but it makes for interesting reading.

http://www.the-searchers.co.uk/searchnews.htm
admin
Site Admin

Re: Lead Guitar Shift

Post by admin »

I found the article by Frank to be most interesting. Thanks for the heads up Jeff.

John McNally surely rose to the challenge and as musicians I consider that the current Searchers are better players all around compared to the early days.

I do miss the original high harmonies of Chris Curtis and the unique vocals of Tony Jackson but they are a bit of a rock and roll miracle to have held together and entertain at the level they do all around the world today. Long may they continue.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
dbailey62
Veteran RRF member

Post by dbailey62 »

JeffZ wrote:On the The Searchers' web site, Frank Allen posts a news letter for fans (usually about 4-5 times during the year). In the one he just put up, he goes into some detail about the switch on lead guitar from Mike to John; I'm not sure if the bitterness of Mike's departure might be coloring his recollections a bit but it makes for interesting reading.

http://www.the-searchers.co.uk/searchnews.htm
That is certainly a possibility but the shift from Mike to John most certainly did take place and IMO, the two albums with the most McNally guitar work (the two Sire albums) are the band's two finest pieces of work.
8mileshigher

Lead Guitar Shift

Post by 8mileshigher »

Interesting article (newsletter) and thanks for posting the link. :)
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Thanks for posting that. I became so intrigued with their website I spent an hour there reading comments by Frank, an interview with John and looking at photos etc.

I will have to visit again. For famous artists who influenced so many musicians, they are refreshingly down to earth.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

From the early 70s John started to play more and more lead in the live shows.
JeffZ

Post by JeffZ »

I've always wondered if this didn't figure into the split later on with Mike. On the flip side, it might have given Mike more room to concentrate on his singing. It's an interesting topic to speculate on.

Return to “Searchers' Forum: by Roy Clough”